Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I have a 2006 Peugeot 307 1.6 litre.
Crankshaft out of sync with the 2 cam drive sprockets.
Both cams locked in position with pins but I am having real trouble locating the hole which locks the crankshaft/flywheel in position.
Basically want to fit new timing belt & correctly time the motor without making an error... I have lined up the crank pulley with bottom of engine block but can't work out where to lock flywheel at TDC simultaneously.
Can see 2 small triangular like openings on bell housing where starter motor mounts & have seen notch on flywheel but can't work out correct locking point.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
On some engines there is a small (6 or 8 mm I think) round hole behind the starter motor and on others the hole is in a recessed at the back of the engine near to the diff and is awkward to find. If the timing is already out then about the best way to find the hole is to gently push the pin against the flywheel while someone else slowly turns the crank.

On a petrol enine I helped time up the locking pin was near the diff and there were two positions that the pin would lock the crank - obviously only one of them was the correct one. We locked the flywheel and cams, fitted the belt then when we turned the engine by hand the valves were hitting the top of the pistons so we had to start all over using the other position.

Whatever you do, once you have everything in place and tightened up, turn the engine over a few times slowly by hand to make sure there is nothing wrong before attempting to tirn the engine over with the starter motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,
Many thanks for your input.. The locking hole was down on the motor casting at front adjacent to the oil filter mounting point ... Correctly as you have suggested.
For future reference this is a 1.6 litre 16v Australian engine.
Many thanks to all who replied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts