Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In my 2003 model 307 SW 1.6 Petrol, there is a braking issue, well at least I am thinking so. The brake pedal is quite stiff. When I apply the brake, I hear the friction noise coming from the wheels. Not squealing noise which comes when the brake pads become old, I know this and it's not that one. However, the pressure that I apply to pedal is quite a lot especially compared to my other car (2010 model 308 1.6 hdi).
About 6 months ago I went to the garage and have the brake pads+discs checked visually without removing the wheels. The guy said they were all quite ok. I have this car from 2007 and I have never changed the brake fluid. I was wondering if this stiffness could be because of old fluid? I am also suspecting the brake booster. How can I check if it is boosting or not? Where is the boost pipe on the engine bay? I want to check if it is somewhere leaking or not. I would appreciate any of your comments.

D

·
0 Posts
Brake fluid should be changed religiously ever two years. Its hydroscopic meaning it absorbs moisture and looses its efficiency over time. Whoever is servicing the car should be doing it pretty much every full service.
Best to get the car up on a ramp and remove the wheels and check the brake system correctly. Afterall its there to save your life. Let there be no shortcuts with braking systems. :thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
brake fluid wouldnt cause stiffness. all it does over time is absorb water so its boiling point is much lowered

this causes overheating of the brake fluid sometimes called brake fade under harsh or continuous braking

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake fluid should be changed religiously ever two years. Its hydroscopic meaning it absorbs moisture and looses its efficiency over time. Whoever is servicing the car should be doing it pretty much every full service.
Best to get the car up on a ramp and remove the wheels and check the brake system correctly. Afterall its there to save your life. Let there be no shortcuts with braking systems. :thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have been servicing my car myself sor far :D I will bring my car an authorized garage for this check-up. Thanks.

get the servo checked out check the vaccuum pipe to it

do you have anyone near you with peugeot planet?
I had one but not anymore. I am looking for a new one. Thanks for your comment. I will have it checked.

·
Registered
151 Posts
From what you have said it sounds like lack of servo assistance, id agree with saying check vac line to servo. Although if its holed the engine would most likely be running poor??

If there is a lot of travel on pedal bleed the brakes and check out the calipers to make sure they arent seized.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what you have said it sounds like lack of servo assistance, id agree with saying check vac line to servo. Although if its holed the engine would most likely be running poor??

If there is a lot of travel on pedal bleed the brakes and check out the calipers to make sure they arent seized.
Engine is running quite normal. I haven't realized any change on it. Where is this vac line to servo? Where is servo located? I would like to check it by myself first if it is somehow reachable.
That's also a problem I guess. There is not much travel on the pedal. Perhaps I am having this feeling just because I drive also my 2010 model 308 1.6 hdi. There the pedal is very smooth.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i rolled my car off the drive yesterday with no ignition. i now feel your pain. its so different with no servo assistance.

get this checked out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts