Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed slow responses from the steering wheel mounted radio/media button/knob that allows you to scroll through radio stations or music tracks? I often have to turn the knob several times before it responds and then it ends up skipping past the station I wanted to select. In contrast, the knob on the left of the steering wheel that changes the iCockpit display responds without issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone else noticed slow responses from the steering wheel mounted radio/media button/knob that allows you to scroll through radio stations or music tracks? I often have to turn the knob several times before it responds and then it ends up skipping past the station I wanted to select. In contrast, the knob on the left of the steering wheel that changes the iCockpit display responds without issue.
Yes, I have noticed that lag also, but not every time. It is as if that control is on a low priority interrupt to the processor. It is not the only one though it seems that the processor is not that quick in responding to ‘non essential’ interrupts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 308s were the same and the 508 is no different, it can be painful when scrolling through a list of tracks.
My main complaint is that if you have the track list on the screen, moving the thumbwheel down scrolls down the list as you would expect. Any other time the opposite happens, you have to move the thumbwheel up to go to the next track.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies Templex and Idler, at least I now know that it’s not a fault with mine specifically but that slow responses can be expected with the radio thumbwheel. I have to say that generally the system responds well, it’s just a minor irritation when the radio thumbwheel fails to respond or is slow. I’ll just have to be patient with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope I’m not speaking too soon but during my car’s annual service my dealership applied some software updates (along with some other recall work) and one of them was for the radio. I’ve tried the steering wheel thumbwheel on a couple of journeys since and each time it has changed the radio station preset consistently after a single input and without delay. It’s a refreshing change!

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's good to know that they're applying updates. I had two new 308s over 4 years before this 508, I can't recall any changes/improvements to the 'infotainment' over that time. I do like the Peugeot 'infotainment' system but it's not as good as it should be, accessing music is still clumsy and awkward, especially if using the screen.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m hopeful that the software updates they applied are a positive sign that they will resolve the mono air con issue...soon. I know what you’re saying about accessing music via the touchscreen so I tend to use voice commands for that instead, or I select the playlist on my phone before I get into the car (to avoid having to faff around with the screen).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I usually just use the thumbwheel, I've found that voice control jumbles the folders then I have to sort them again before I can use the wheel. I like my USB stick to be sorted A to Z by Artist, I generally play in that order as well, just skipping the stuff I want to miss.

A fast scroll function would be very handy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve not tried a USB stick in mine for music, only for software and map updates so far. I do use the thumbwheel to skip between tracks once I’ve selected an album or playlist. That’s annoying your folders get jumbled up. A fast scroll option would be nice!

·
Registered
49 Posts
All I need to do is to sort them again on the music screen, it must be the way that voice control indexes them. Like all these things, they seem to work better if you use just one method.

I did try using voice control to increase/decrease the temperature, but it's so slow, especially when it's in the 0.5 deg. range. Unless you can tell it a number such as 24 deg. it's useless.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gave up with the voice control for temperature too, totally agree with your comments. Even less useful with mono air con not working.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I gave up with the voice control for temperature too, totally agree with your comments. Even less useful with mono air con not working.
Must admit I haven’t seriously used the voice control, only playing with it. I think it’s a gimmick to be honest. I have only used music from my phone and considered putting an iPod in and leaving it in the car, but a USB stick sounds a really good idea. I’l copy my phone music to one and try it. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mainly use the voice control for navigation and I’ve found it to work well. I’ve set home and work as frequent locations so never have to select them via the screen. Further to this, I’ve managed to say “navigate to street name, town” and it frequently understands where I want to go with a request for verification “do you want to navigate to...?” which i prefer rather than it unnecessarily directing me to the wrong place. Sometimes it lists options and then I can just say ‘number one’ etc to confirm. Passengers have been impressed at how well it works.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I mainly use the voice control for navigation and I’ve found it to work well. I’ve set home and work as frequent locations so never have to select them via the screen. Further to this, I’ve managed to say “navigate to street name, town” and it frequently understands where I want to go with a request for verification “do you want to navigate to...?” which i prefer rather than it unnecessarily directing me to the wrong place. Sometimes it lists options and then I can just say ‘number one’ etc to confirm. Passengers have been impressed at how well it works.
Have never tried that....so I will next time.....something new to lay with, thanks Twilight!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope you find it beneficial @Templex - my last 508 didn’t have voice control but my 308 (08 plate) did however it wasn’t very good. This implementation on the new 508 is much better and the help guide you get on the screen is useful when you first try it out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The major down side to voice control for me is getting to know the necessary phrases, if you get it wrong and she starts her spiel such as'Try saying ....' she can go on for what seems like ages.
I can't get her to find Birmingham International Airport for love nor money. I was half way there once when I gave up, it's probably a failing on the part of TomTom as well I guess.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The major down side to voice control for me is getting to know the necessary phrases, if you get it wrong and she starts her spiel such as'Try saying ....' she can go on for what seems like ages.
I can't get her to find Birmingham International Airport for love nor money. I was half way there once when I gave up, it's probably a failing on the part of TomTom as well I guess.
I still think it’s a gimmick, but I’ll give it a try.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve not had many issues with getting it wrong but I have been using it for a while now so as you say, familiarity helps. I’ll have to try Birmingham International Airport and see how I get on!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I usually just use the thumbwheel, I've found that voice control jumbles the folders then I have to sort them again before I can use the wheel. I like my USB stick to be sorted A to Z by Artist, I generally play in that order as well, just skipping the stuff I want to miss.

A fast scroll function would be very handy.
Thanks for planting the usb stick idea, Idler, it works very well. I copied my PC juke box of iTunes music to a stick and tried it. For just a bunch of music files on a stick the 508 does well. It must have some intelligence akin to an MP3 player and as you say can sort the track as you wish. My stick was already ordered in album/ artist/track but I am impressed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 2015 308 had a built in hard drive but I could only copy about a third of my music onto it, so it was useless and I used a memory stick instead. My 2017 308 didn't have the hard drive, they'd stopped that but bizarrely they also reduced the USB sockets from 2 to 1. The 508 has now got more USB sockets than I've got devices 😃

1 - 20 of 20 Posts