Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

406 2.2 sport 2003

I'm about to replace my comm2000 and has some trouble with removing the airbag on the steering wheel. Can't find any wholes with screws in when I look at the back of the wheel. But no matter how I try I can't seem to get the airbag off.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Hi all

406 2.2 sport 2003

I'm about to replace my comm2000 and has some trouble with removing the airbag on the steering wheel. Can't find any wholes with screws in when I look at the back of the wheel. But no matter how I try I can't seem to get the airbag off.

Any ideas?
there is one hole at the bottom back of the steering wheel you need to push something up to push on the metal bar as that releases the airbag

·
Registered
344 Posts
I believe this has a release pin inside the steering wheel.

Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees (either way) and at bottom of the steering wheel (which will now be at the side) there should be a slot.

Use a flathead screwdriver and push the metal clip, I believe towards the centre of the steering wheel. This should release the airbag which should pop out.

Bit fiddly but with a bit of patience, you should get it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just another point, if you haven't already disconnected it, don't disconnect the airbag when you're in the 'impact zone' (sitting in the drivers seat). I usually stand outside the car and keep all vital body parts out of the way just in case the airbag deploys.

Also worth doing this when reconnecting it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have replaced my comm2000 but now my key doesn't work and I got an immobilizer lock.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got it running and drove it for a couple of miles before I turned it off again. Now I got the same error saying engine immobilizer lock.

G

·
0 Posts
Have you connected the grey connector back in securely..?

Give it a wiggle to see if it helps.

G

·
0 Posts
Its also possible the transponder ring was disturbed in the process, may as well check that too - its the black ring around the ignition barrel with a flimsy connection on it...:nono:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its also possible the transponder ring was disturbed in the process, may as well check that too - its the black ring around the ignition barrel with a flimsy connection on it...:nono:
Thanks. I'll check that too.

Is it obvious how it should be fitted or are there something I need to know about it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it the transponder aerial that's connected to the comm with the brown connector?
Maybe I just didn't get that one fitted properly?

I'm parked in the street and will have a look at it as soon as it stops raining.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've checked all connectors at the back of the com today and they all seemed fine. I disconnected them and gave them a dust with electrical contact cleaner and made sure they fitted correctly while I reconnected them. It didn't help.

I then rebooted the bsi:
Open the hood
Doors closed
Removed the key
Waited 3 minutes
Removed battery cable
Waited 15 seconds
Connected battery cable
Waited 10 seconds
Turn on the lights through the window
Turn on ignition (still through the window)
Pressed key lock button for 10 seconds
Removed the key and tested the remote central lock
Turn on the ignition

I did this more than five times and most of the times I've got the immobilizer fault immediately. I've tried all of the above with the spare key too. I've even removed the transponder aerial and put it back as it should be again.

I have managed to start the engine a couple of times. One of the times I drove about 40km and everything worked. Sometimes it starts even with the immobilizer fault showing, but most of the times it don't. If I turn it off when it runs and restart within 5 seconds it starts again. Even if I removed the key during this time and even if the fault is displayed (sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't). But if I remove the key for a couple of seconds longer it won't start. So it's not especially consistent.

I don't believe that the transponder aerial are causing this. It worked perfectly fine before and I didn't move it in anyway when I swapped com's. The brown connector on the cable that goes from the transponder to the comm does seem a bit wiggly. But I've disconnected it and plugged it back in several times today and it doesn't make any difference if I wiggle it (correct word?) while I turn on the ignition.

I got one of the times I tried to start it on cam (phone). As you can see (and hear if you listen closely) it runs in the beginning and starts one more time during this., but the rest of the times it's locked (immobilizer).
https://youtu.be/ua9nKQ2jKfM

Another strange thing is that sometimes it don't start even when there's no fault displayed. I belive that's related to the immobilizer too and that there sometimes are a delay before the fault shows.

So I'm pretty much stuck right now and any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
Okay - I'm not sure where to go from here, sorry.

The grey connector on the comms is what carries the immobiliser signal ( if its unplugged you get the fault ) The plug has 6 tiny pins in it, so its possible one pin is bent or something, can you see all 6 pins if you shine a torch in there, was it a second hand comms?

The transponder ring sometimes becomes a bit intermittent if it is starting to fail, I can't remember if a second hand one will work straight away or if it needs coding, probably not.

Thats my best guess though, if it isn't something this simple then its a bit out of my league...:nono:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked all connectors and pins, or at least I thought I did. I'll have another go at it tomorrow. I've bought the com from trustme and I've sent him a pm. I'm hoping he gets back to me after the weekend.

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The transponder ring sometimes becomes a bit intermittent if it is starting to fail, I can't remember if a second hand one will work straight away or if it needs coding, probably not.
The transponder aerial isn't coded, there plug & play.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Today I had another look at it and I can't find anything that's obviously wrong.

I checked all connectors on the backside of the com a couple of times and I even tried to wiggle them to see if there's any bad connectv(grey and brown connector) . Nothing happens.

I rebooted the bsi (or at least I tried to), but no luck. I unplugged the shunt fuse for more than 15 minutes to clear the bsi memory. I actually found two of these, one grey/green and one grey/orange, and I unplugged both of them. Nothing happens...

I tried all possible things recommended on the Internet to program the key. Press the lock button and hold for 10 seconds, hold for 30 seconds, press it twice etc etc.

I've managed to start it a couple of times. If I turn it off and turn it on again within 5 seconds it starts immediately. If I wait any longer the immobilizer fault locks.

I really can't see why the transponder aerial should fail after I swapped com's. I haven't had any problems with it or the the bsi before. I have changed battery in the car two times without problems and I disconnected the battery for a almost two months when I didn't use the car. And I disconnected it several times when I changed my radio without problems. So I can't really see why it suddenly should be causing this.

The com seems to be working except for the fog lights. I can turn them on if I twist and hold the stalk for 5 seconds. But I can't turn them off without turning off the ignition. This is kind of strange, and even if it's not a big problem this might be a sign of the com not working properly in my car. I'm absolutely no expert but it seems a bit strange.

I've thought of swapping coms back to my original to see if it helps. The com I've got from trustme had a bit of tape on it (to hold the ring in place I assume). When I removed mine I didn't think of doing that as I was sure I wasn't going to use it again. So now I don't know if I can just put it back again or if I mess something up in that case.

So for know I just wait and see what trustme thinks about all this. Maybe it's the "new" com, maybe he's got some ideas of what to try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that the transponder aerial senses the key when it's fitted to the ignition since I've got the warning sound when I opened the door without removing the key (and the warning sign on the display).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've talked to trustme today and the problem is somehow related to the comm I've got from him. I swapped back to mine and now everything works except for the airbag fault that remains of course.

I'm sending it back to him tomorrow so he can take a look of what it is that didn't work properly.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions during this. It was highly appreciated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the comm back from trustme and this time everything works

Skickat från min LG-D855 via Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts