Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve got knocking and a lot of play on the inner tie rod joints, i`m surprised it wasn`t picked up in the MOT earlier this year...

What sort of a job is it to do these?
Access looks limited, any special tools required, how much swearing is likely to be involved?

·
5,978 Posts
It's a bit of fiddle but doable there is just enough access on full lock getting the boot off the rack is the hardest part.

I used jubilee clips to hold it on when I refitted. There is a proper tool for unscrewing and refitting the rods but you can get away with a pair of stilsons. I always use a bit of thread lock on the replacements as you cannot be 100% on the torque when refitting with stilsons

It's also worth changing outer ends at the same time as they can sometimes be a struggle to remove from the old rod

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cheers, Windy.
I did the outer joints about 2 years ago so they should be OK..

I did mine pre mot and its not a bad job at all
I had the tool a cheap one it did the job but not the best grip
I agree that this could be done with stilsons etc
But I used the tool to refit them without stress on the joint

I would replace the track rods ends while your on and then its done then
set the tracking up

Garage wanted £25 to check and adjust ... I did mine with a gunson trakrite gauge and. still have the original radiator and shock absorbers

After a story I heard at the local fast fit centre. !!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a proper tool for unscrewing and refitting the rods but you can get away with a pair of stilsons.
I had a quick look under there this evening and because of the position of the rack (right above the subframe) there doesn`t look like enough room to get a grip on the tie rods let alone swing a pair of stilsons?

This might be one of the rare occasions when i pay a garage to do it....

·
5,978 Posts
On full lock there is enough room I have changed a few 307 inner tie rods

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
getting the boot off the rack is the hardest part.

I used jubilee clips to hold it on when I refitted.
Hi Windy, i might be tackling this tomorrow (after i`ve done the strut top mounts...)

Do you have any tips`n`tricks to getting the inner boot clip off -it looks almost inaccessible.

And do the stilsons grip the tie rod end at a bit of an angle, there doesn`t seem to be room to get them on square?

·
5,978 Posts
I just used a thin screwdriver to pop the clip at the joint and yes they do grip at a slight angle

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got around to doing this job today and it all went rather well. I`ve been putting it off because i thought it would be a swear-fest.

The tie rods were nowhere near as tight as i thought they would be and the cheapy ebay tool removed them easily.
In fact on the first rod after applying just a moderate amount of force it came undone and i assumed it was the tool slipping/not gripping but it was actually the thread undoing.
I was able to re-use the inner boot clips by fitting them to the gaiter (and closing the clip) before fitting and simply pushing them on to the end of the rack again - there`s no `lip` on the rack and the boot goes on quite easily, i used a smidge of silicon grease to facilitate fitting and a mirror to check that it was fully home all around the rack.
The o/s tie rod didn`t seem too bad and was still quite tight, the n/s was deffo worn.

There is - of course - a slight negative to this tale because the nearside outer balljoint (which i replaced only 2.5 years ago) also needed replacing again.
Cheap ECP shite....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts