Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAd my camber and toe angel adjsuted after changing some wear and tear around the front wheels.

Now i notice that my steering gets hard to turn intermittent, seems to get some lag but works better when turning to the left, then goes hard when doing right turn.
This happens most when driving. When i try turning the wheels at stand still, it works fine, seems to get some lag still , but it turns. but if i try to change direction fast it seems to get hard and stuck....

'servo pump issue?
Valve issue?

or mechanical issue due to job that was done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was ok before the work then choice number 3!
definetely not this bad... But I took it by the mechanic, and of course they had to take it in to take a fulllook to diagnose... eventhough i just wanted a quick statement from the mechanic. Should be eay to turn the steering wheel and see/feel whther it is the servo or related to mechanics... But they will probably just charge me.. for diagnostic . And blame whatever fault on unluckiness..

Usually if turned to max, you'll hear the servo pump working full and the return line... But when i do the same now, it is more a "sputter" before the noise just dies out.. Instead of a steady noise running continously...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Check the fluid level.
If it is the pump then remanufactured units are available from Poland on eBay.co.uk for around £120 with a 2 year written guarantee. Easy job to do as well.

Not the end of the world.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the fluid level.
If it is the pump then remanufactured units are available from Poland on eBay.co.uk for around £120 with a 2 year written guarantee. Easy job to do as well.

Not the end of the world.
Bingo! Checked level, only fumes/vapor coming out. Almost looks like particles getting throw back in the little left in the bottom of reservoir. Probably bubbles but difficult to separate by looking inside.

then noticed yellow oil, dripping from the plastic cover beneath the engine .See a rather large reservoir gathered on top of the cover up and to the right from the aux. Belt.

looks like i got myself a leak.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I assume the garage did not bother looking then! If so avoid like the plague I would say! Did you top it up then with the correct fluid? Being yellow means what? Is the fluid yellow when fresh?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well , stopped by and explained my problem. Told them they repaired the some slack in the link arms and adjusted the toe and camber angle as well as steering adjustment. And now the steering seems strange.

said it should be an easy job for a mechanic to come outside and turn the wheel ,and maybe take a look to see if it was mechanical or servo pump related. Got told they needed to schedule an appointment, and do a steering diagnostic . After which i suppose they want to charge me, and then say this is just unlucky and a old car so the leak had probably just happened out of the blue. And then probably want to charge me even more to fix it .
Have another mechanic doing the crank sensor replacement, he should see if the leak is pump or power steering rack related.

I’ll also confront them in the morning about the “leak” and that they have been in the same area doing work. So maybe some malpractise or fault on their side, always fun theese things. They are the only manufacturer approved mechanic , but i’ve always had horrible experiences there.

two nice ones:

1. My gearbox seized, got a old one and askes them to replace it. Got a call , asked me if they should change the clutch, which was nice as they had openedit all. However i asked them if it looked ok, and they said it was in nice shape. So i told them to not change it, as the gearbox was expensive anyway. Came to collect it, and they told me they had changed the clutch and chrged me for a new one. Asked to get the “nice” clutch back as it probably could be resold. But it was magically gone, thrown away. So after a long discussion they gave me a small discount.

2. same place. got the car back after repair. Noticed a rattling sound when i drove around, popped the hood and found a 10 wrench left in the drain under the bonnet.

well well....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I assume the garage did not bother looking then! If so avoid like the plague I would say! Did you top it up then with the correct fluid? Being yellow means what? Is the fluid yellow when fresh?
The servo/hydraulic oil is supposes to be yellow/greenish if i have read correctly. Don't know if it's additive to easier spot it, but hydraulic oil is not very healthy so probably related to this.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Seems to me with the amount of threads you have posted that this car was/is a wreck. Is there not any independent garages around you who I find are more honest and skilful and do not charge the same as the so called "experts"?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been one after the other this last month for sure.
Especially after spending 500 pounds, and getting her through eu-check and approved for 2 years... then all the latter happens....

i’ve ordered spares online, and using a smaller garage for labour.Planned to do it myself , but as it was some motor work and involved glow plugs changing. I think it is better to outsource the labour.
probably saved me 600 pounds in parts expensense.
but still never would have walked this path if i knew what was coming...

It’s the troublesome path of spending 500 quid more and have car for 2 years.
Or take a loss on the 500 allready spent, and use the other 500 to buy a new one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

can’t see anleak from the pump, neither dripping from the cables.
But clearly it seems to come from this area, maybe a gasket or seal behind the cuff.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was on about this car and the steering issue, not the garage stories - I have worse garage stories, which is why I haven't taken my car to a garage since about 2003.

That boot in the picture is absolutely mashed and you're not sure where the problem might be?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
It does wear there. There is a bush/bearing there which does /can wear allowing fluid to pass. I was "using" fluid but no leaks obvious Upon inspection by opening the boot I found the fluid! The bearing can be replaced but I chose to have a "new" replacement unit . This was a remanufactured unit with guarantee and works Ok with no leaks!

·
3,173 Posts
That pic looks like the adjustment done 'twisted' the rack steering boot and now the rack has 'eaten' the gaiter....put it on full right hand lock and try and clear the rubber from the mechanism

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, wanna swap?

jokes aside, that kind of takes me to the point.
The retailer mechanic did the check and found the need to repair the car for 500 pounds, and i find it quite strange that such a leak or “smash” was there while they worked on it. If so , it is at least quite dubious behaviour letting it fail if it could have been fixed earlier.
It came out of the mechanic just 10. Days ago and i’ve hardly driven it since, as i’ve been awaiting parts for crank sensor and gaskets.

just seems fishy to me that something looks like this, a short time after visiting the mechanic, when you know works has bee done in the same area...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was on about this car and the steering issue, not the garage stories - I have worse garage stories, which is why I haven't taken my car to a garage since about 2003.

That boot in the picture is absolutely mashed and you're not sure where the problem might be?
Ahh, i know where the problem is:) hence the pictures.

more the “argument” with the garage.

They say i need to replace the whole rack,and that they don’t know how this has happened.

while i find it extremely fishing , that if this was there before they adjusted camber/toe and changed some wear and tear parts. They obviously would have told me, as any good mechanic would see the spill and the smashed bellow. And even fishier how this happened right after a stay in the workshop, when i’ve hardly driven the car..

So word against word at the mechanic, and they will not budge easily.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts