Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
steering reservoir volcano
Hi, my 406 power steering reservoir seems to be rather pressurized. If i take the top off and cold start - its a frothy overflow very quickly. I was trying to find why i have had two successive pipe leaks at the reservoir requiring jubilee clips for extra seal. Garage cant fathom it and put a pin prick hole in the cap to take pressure off.... a mini volcano now.
Ive been told the reservoir should NOT have pressure in it like that as its a feeder?
Root causes?
:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
power steering

just back due to exact same problem with power steering. as its under warranty they are changing the pump on my 407. they also said it is dangerous to drive, so i would get it checked out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This sounds like the pump is actually pulling IN air, then pressurising it in the pump - forcing this bubbly mix through the high pressure steering rams, then venting it to the reservoir.

It could be the pump - but more likely the return pipe from the steering rack - or ........ steering rack seals.
Something on the low pressure side anyway.

Would be cheaper to just replace all hoses first - and if you still get a problem - swap a pump for a bit. If not, return the pump (as it was a wrong diagnosis) - and get a replacement rack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts