Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place. I have a 2014 Peugeot 308 1.6 e-HDi which has started to develop a creaking noise when turning the steering wheel left or right, either stationery or whilst going both forward and in reverse.

Two mechanics (both from the same garage) have said that this is most likely an issue with the steering rack/electric motor and will need to be replaced, however I'm expecting this to be a costly fix. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get a replacement part from a breaker yard/second hand and if the part would need coding by Peugeot? Or if anyone can offer any advice at all that might save me forking out a lot of money, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

·
Registered
552 Posts
Can you record the noise? There is a known issue where rubber is making noise, it's on the bottom of the steering column. That's inexpensive fix, it just needs lubrication

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you record the noise? There is a known issue where rubber is making noise, it's on the bottom of the steering column. That's inexpensive fix, it just needs lubrication
I will take a recording of the noise and post once done. Thank you. 🤞🏻

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hm, it does not sound like a problem I was thinking. Maybe ask a second opinion from some other garage?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I cannot advise around the 308 electric steering system, coding etc. specifically, as never had any issues nor am I overly familiar with it's configuration

However, I have experience whereby some years ago I had steering motor failure on a Nissan (gave you a good workout if nothing else). Due to the extortionate cost for replacement and the usual 'we can only replace complete steering unit' etc. I then investigated transplanting a secondhand motor into the existing column. At the time a new column was ~£1000 from Nissan plus fitting, think it was around an £1800 job in total. I got a complete column from an eBay scrapper for ~£150 and mechanic round the corner sorted the motor swap for ~£200 as I remember. There was a bit of surgery required as motor was welded into a carrier but after a bit of grinding and a couple of spot welds it was back to how it was and significantly less spendy than replacing the whole shebang. There were no further issues and it was still working fine when I traded the car a year or two later.

Of course this may not be your issue at all but if it is a similar issue, in terms of feasibility this would seem possible. However 'advances' in technology i.e. make nothing easily repairable may preclude such an approach. But where there's a will there's a way and all that...

·
6,843 Posts
Service box does not show an option for a preprogrammed unit so should not need coding.

May be a remote chance it needs calbrating if only motor changed, however if you change complete rack you should be fine

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cannot advise around the 308 electric steering system, coding etc. specifically, as never had any issues nor am I overly familiar with it's configuration

However, I have experience whereby some years ago I had steering motor failure on a Nissan (gave you a good workout if nothing else). Due to the extortionate cost for replacement and the usual 'we can only replace complete steering unit' etc. I then investigated transplanting a secondhand motor into the existing column. At the time a new column was ~£1000 from Nissan plus fitting, think it was around an £1800 job in total. I got a complete column from an eBay scrapper for ~£150 and mechanic round the corner sorted the motor swap for ~£200 as I remember. There was a bit of surgery required as motor was welded into a carrier but after a bit of grinding and a couple of spot welds it was back to how it was and significantly less spendy than replacing the whole shebang. There were no further issues and it was still working fine when I traded the car a year or two later.

Of course this may not be your issue at all but if it is a similar issue, in terms of feasibility this would seem possible. However 'advances' in technology i.e. make nothing easily repairable may preclude such an approach. But where there's a will there's a way and all that...
Thanks, Im hoping I can go for the cheaper option of transplanting from a breaker car 🤞🏻 Without the need for coding etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
108 Posts
It would appear so, but treat eBay compatibility checker with a healthy dose of caution. Part number is what you need to be 100% sure it is correct for any direct replacement and also any like for like or compatible substitutions.

For example eBay also shows p/n 1638538680 as 'compatible' with your vehicle. Could well be, but best to be sure (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would appear so, but treat eBay compatibility checker with a healthy dose of caution. Part number is what you need to be 100% sure it is correct for any direct replacement and also any like for like or compatible substitutions.

For example eBay also shows p/n 1638538680 as 'compatible' with your vehicle. Could well be, but best to be sure (y)
Do you know if is there a website I can use to check what part numbers are definitely compatible with my vehicle?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Some kind soul with access to Service Box may be able to tell you or you could purchase a 5 Euro token for an hours access, pop your VIN and sorted...

·
6,843 Posts
You maybe able to cross reference using the EuroCarParts listing for your vehicle, my offline version of servicebox does not list any vehicles part 2013 and for some reason lists no RHD racks and the asia site is down.

Various factor sites do list that part no for your year and spec vehicle

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
A 2nd opinion from a Peugeot main dealer may be a worthwhile idea.

·
6,843 Posts
Also worth checking top mount bearings and struts as there have been issues with both items on some models

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You maybe able to cross reference using the EuroCarParts listing for your vehicle, my offline version of servicebox does not list any vehicles part 2013 and for some reason lists no RHD racks and the asia site is down.

Various factor sites do list that part no for your year and spec vehicle
Cant seem to find a steering rack on the EuroCarParts website for some reason and a lot of the sites I’ve looked at don’t seem to have any products matching 😤

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A 2nd opinion from a Peugeot main dealer may be a worthwhile idea.
Forgive my incompetence but if I was to speak to the main dealer would I need to book it in with them for repairs for them to diagnose or can I literally just contact them and ask their opinion?

·
6,843 Posts
You could go to parts dept and say you need a new rack and you need a quote for the price and hope quote shows part no

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts