Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks i get steering noise when i do a full turn to the right...its only noticeable when i do full turnabout...

Is it all mechanical or any other issue ?? Car drives fine otherwise....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Most likely culprit would be a cv joint on the driveshaft. But depending on the noise, it could be the steering rack, suspension, tie rods, ball joints......

Is the noise a continuous knocking as the wheel is turned? Or does it sound differently?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely culprit would be a cv joint on the driveshaft. But depending on the noise, it could be the steering rack, suspension, tie rods, ball joints......

Is the noise a continuous knocking as the wheel is turned? Or does it sound differently?
It just comes when doing a turn about not while driving...its super smooth...only when u do a turn about in 3 steps...;)...its just screeching noise

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The screeching noise is the pump as it is at full lock. All power steering that use hydraulics make that sound to some degree, it is normal. But do not keep it at full lock for too long as it can cause damage to the pump.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The screeching noise is the pump as it is at full lock. All power steering that use hydraulics make that sound to some degree, it is normal. But do not keep it at full lock for too long as it can cause damage to the pump.
Thanks...thats makes sense...i was worried if it was a problem...cheers...

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
As Mr. madbadandold said, go easy on the steering. I had a similar issue on an old Punto, if I was at full lock and gave it just a little bit too much pressure, the pump would close off and I would lose power steering.

So, no donuts in car parks :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As Mr. madbadandold said, go easy on the steering. I had a similar issue on an old Punto, if I was at full lock and gave it just a little bit too much pressure, the pump would close off and I would lose power steering.

So, no donuts in car parks :D
My issue was sound at full lock...not losing power...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok folks so i realized that if i use foot break and rotate steering i was getting the noise if stationary...now using handbreak and no more noises on turn abouts...does it make sense ?

If this is true....I just wonder how does breaking work when breaking and turning in speed..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It makes perfect sense. Your handbrake controls the rear braking. Your steering wheel turns the front road wheels. Handbrake and front wheels/steering are totally unrelated.
Cheers so using foot break when turning in stationary position should never happen practically ?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're best avoiding dry steering (turning the wheels whilst stationary), you can damage the rack and pinion.
Then how are u supposed to do a turnabout maneuver ?

Maybe keep the car moving slowly...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Then how are u supposed to do a turnabout maneuver ?

Maybe keep the car moving slowly...
It was a long time ago now, but i seem to remember being taught to drive not to turn my wheels until the car was actually moving forward or backwards.(i am assuming a turnabout is a 3 point turn or similar but excuse me if im not correct i have never heard that term before.)
I was taught that and at the time was told it was for the same reasons that the previous poster posted to you, makes sense.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was a long time ago now, but i seem to remember being taught to drive not to turn my wheels until the car was actually moving forward or backwards.(i am assuming a turnabout is a 3 point turn or similar but excuse me if im not correct i have never heard that term before.)
I was taught that and at the time was told it was for the same reasons that the previous poster posted to you, makes sense.
Yes its 3 point turn...

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Even if the wheels are moving forward or backward ever so slightly, it takes the strain off the steering. When stationary and the wheels turning, the wheels want to remain still because of the high level of friction. So when steering, you have to overcome the force of friction to even get the wheels moving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts