Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

I have done a bit of work yesterday on the car (407 Coupe 2.7 HDI Auto) - changed CV boot, drivers side (plenty of grease all over) and both sides track rod ends inner and outer ones. Tracking was done as well.

Unfortunately, now car does not want to drive, ESP is constantly kicking in and steering feels very light - car does not turn at all for quarter of the steering wheel turn each side but then suddenly steering kicks in and turns quite sharply.

No Errors on the dash or in the logs on the centre console computer.

Please help to determine possible problem.

Thank you in advance.

Andy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response

Tracking was done on Hunter 9000.. and it all was spot on green etc. on the report.

I don't expected tyres to wear out as I'm quite scared to drive the car on the motorway.

Steering is OK at low speed. i.e .when parking but as soon as you get to 30mph it is not that predictable, very light - nothing is happening for 1/4 turn of the steering wheel and after that it is turning too hard. Also getting to 30 mph is a challenge as ESP is constantly kicking in and overrides your gas pedal even if you turn the ESP off.

I don't think it is tracking that causing an issue here as that would be quite predictable pull to either left or right.

Andy

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, power steering uses a semi-flexible steering column with a sensor which detects torsional strain on the column, then engages the power assist, I'm not sure how peugeots do it though, this being faulty would be my best guess? Or something on it has come loose.

Also Welwyn GC is awesome :) I love hitting the apexs on all those little islands! Like a little race track :p

Pete

·
Registered
14,551 Posts
Because your car has ESP and you have messed with the rack you need to reset the steering angle sensor using planet this is why the ESP light is on as for your description of the ESP kicking in im not sure what you mean as ESP should not really make it undrivable sounds like you have more than 1 issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Pete,

thank you for response, and nice comments about WGC ;-).

How then ESP would be affected if it is anything to do with the steering rack or it's sensors ?

Andy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ESP light is not ON on the dash board when you start the car. But as soon as you start driving - basically put the foot down, ESP is starting to behave as if you are driving on ice or snow, starts flashing up and cancels all your presses on accelerator pedal.

I have ordered PP2000 on ebay, hopefully it will arrive by Friday and I should be able to check what went wrong with the car. :(

·
Registered
14,551 Posts
That's not ESP that's traction control.

ESP traction control AND ABS all use the ABS sensors and steering angle sensors so your problem is either the steering angle sensor needs calibrated or you have damaged an ABS sensor at 1 of the wheels.

Your description still does not match what I would expect from either of those faults though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your advice,

I will get it checked with Planet 2000 and hopefully it is just recalibration of the steering angle sensor.

But steering rack has not been moved that much why would it cause an issue ?

Would it be possible that a grease from CV joint affected the ABS sensor ? so it just needs cleaning ? There was almost a whole can of brake clutch leaner applied on that disk after the job was done to get rid of excesses of CV joint grease.

Andy

·
Registered
187 Posts
You'll probably need a lot of patience to install pp2000! Have you got windows XP?

It took me about a week to get it to install, I installed diagbox v5.02, then exit when you get asked for serial etc, then run the patch, then activate with the weird numbers. You need patience to run it as well, it is really buggy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dough. Oh well, life is full of challenges. I will need to find my old laptop with XP on it. I have ordered V7 of the Diagbox. Hopefully it will be a bit better.... I'm just scared to think how much it will cost to get it sorted at the dealers :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All

The problem is now fixed. Eurocarparts have supplied wrong track rod ends, not going to use them any more, for the second time the parts they supply are wrong and that does cost me more money to get it fixed.

Replaced them with correct ones and the problem is gone.

Also now I have the latest PeugeotPlanet and managed to disable annoying tyre pressure monitor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts