Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,

I've got a bit of a snag with the steering on my 607 (2003 reg). I got in after work last night and the steering felt all heavy, as if I had no power steering. Checked the fluid and that was fine so drove it home to have it seen my mechanic mate. On the way home I noticed that after I put the turn on it wasn't coming off esily, I was having to right it.

So this monring we jacked it up and had a play with the steering. He reckons its the strut top mounts as when I turn it and he has a feel, its grinding at the strut top mount instead of being nice and smooth.

I just wondered if anyone else thought that this is probably the cause and is there a history of it in pug's?

Cheers!

Martin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello again. Ok its not getting any better. Car has now been off the road for nearly a week and I'm getting to the end of my tether.

Last Wednesday the steering on the car went all lumpy, kinda stiff, soft, stiff, soft as I was turning the steering wheel. Got the car back home and got my mechanic down and we thought it might have been the strut top mounts. We've changed one side and to be honest, It isn't that much better (although they did need replaced).

We've looked at pretty much everything else and we're stuck. We think the pump is ok and we had a look at the steering rack. The U joint also looks fine.

Please guys, any suggestions would be well appreciated! Is there a way we can check if the pump is working? The reservoir looks full?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Martin607 said:
Hello again. Ok its not getting any better. Car has now been off the road for nearly a week and I'm getting to the end of my tether.

Last Wednesday the steering on the car went all lumpy, kinda stiff, soft, stiff, soft as I was turning the steering wheel. Got the car back home and got my mechanic down and we thought it might have been the strut top mounts. We've changed one side and to be honest, It isn't that much better (although they did need replaced).

We've looked at pretty much everything else and we're stuck. We think the pump is ok and we had a look at the steering rack. The U joint also looks fine.

Please guys, any suggestions would be well appreciated! Is there a way we can check if the pump is working? The reservoir looks full?
Martin, sorry to hear about your problems but that clearly is a symptom of the pump failing.. there isnt any way of checking it really.. I would sought one out from the breakers..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Scotcruz said:
Martin, sorry to hear about your problems but that clearly is a symptom of the pump failing.. there isnt any way of checking it really.. I would sought one out from the breakers..
Was about to say the same thing near enough. Pump indeed. How he thought strut top mounts I don't know. You say they we're in need of replacing anyway, what just the top mount? They will never need to be replaced, the struts themselves yeah, but just the top mount. Can't understand that one

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem Solved!

Evening all. Good news, the 607 is back and working. We replaced the second strut top mount on the driver side and its like brand new! They were well rusted! Piccy below but thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Martin607 said:
Evening all. Good news, the 607 is back and working. We replaced the second strut top mount on the driver side and its like brand new! They were well rusted! Piccy below but thanks for all the help.

glad it worked and good diagnostics.. saved you a few bucks!! so was it the garages suspicion or yours??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little help from one of the engineers at work over the phone and the skills of my mate whos a mechanic! Nothing to do with me, I just asked on the forum haha! Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts