Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

'55 407 2.0 HDI AUTO (4 speed) 90k

When I start the engine up I get a kind of chinking / grinding noise which I think is something to do with the starter motor. Often the engine will start but the noise happens for half a second after engine is firing and I thought at first it sounded like starter wasn't disengaging (conclusion after reading forums). Now issue is getting more frequent and it will make the chinking/grinding noise from the first turn of the key and not start. The best way I've found to get the car to start is stick it in neutral, then it'll make the noise but seems to start, although I guess that may be coincidence. Sometimes, however, it starts okay-ish with just a short 'chink' as the engine starts. It depends on the day.

Thoughts are that it's a faulty starter. Was hoping for a consensus on that, or alternative suggestions.

Obviously looking for an economical solution, have dabbled with minor engine fixes and do my own oil changes, brake pads, etc which I enjoy but in this instance am not sure if I could get a replacement and do it myself - how tricky is it? Are there any step by step guides? (have tried basic search). Failing that will run to local garage but a fairly good idea of the issue going in may help to keep costs down.

Any advice welcome!

Matt.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If it is the starter then they are not too hard to change although the bolts are hex heads as in allen keys not normal bolts you will need a 3/8 drive ratchet and 8mm hex to undo them.

From your description I recon the starters drive is failing as this gives a noise like you describe and will eventually just give up completely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts