Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, some expert advice needed.

Earlier today en route to work my girlfriend's coupe threw up the message 'brake system failure' and the STOP light came on. At the same time the steering went heavy like it lost power assistance, though the brakes seemed fine. She parked up and went to work.

When getting back to the car later and going to unlock it, the doors unlocked but the wing mirrors didn't unfold, and nothing happens when the ignition is turned. The dash lights come on when the key is at positions 1 and 2 as normal but not even a click when turned to start.

I don't know how this starting problem can be related to the brake system message, but it seems an unlikely coincidence.

Any advice on first things to check before we call out the garage? With the wing mirrors not folding out I wondered if it could be an immobiliser problem, in which case they probably wont be able to get it started either. In any case we will have to get it transported to peugeot somehow.

C

·
0 Posts
Sounds like it could be battery, if no immobiliser warning.

Peugeot Planet owner, Doncaster

·
Registered
909 Posts
As cab says defo sounds like battery to me. When they are close to death on the 407's they give loads of wierd and wonderful electrical faults. A good new battery will certainly help.
BTW your powersteerin is electricly powered, thats why i say battery

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I'm hoping it just needs a battery. I've read that the pug electronics are very sensitive to voltage etc and we do regularly get a lot of random fault messages. I always thought it would be unlikely for so many things to actually be faulty.

Will update for the benefit of others with similar issues when we know what's up.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Power issues cause all sorts of funky messages on a 407.

My alternator died, and it threw 2 different battery/charging messages, power assistance faulty, ABS/ESP faulty, braking system faulty, depolution system faulty. It drove okay but without the power steering until I managed to park up (a good 4/5 miles as wanted to get off the M1) then the next time the key was turned it literally did nothing.

I'd say it's a battery fault if you didn't get the charging faulty message.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it was the battery, but the battery itself isn't faulty and is charging fine with no drain on it. It seems it must have drained somehow but we can't think from where, unless it has just been a gradual decline due to lots of short trips with a week sitting in between, as tends to be our usage habits.

Interesting to find out how sensitive the electrics can be though. Over the last few months we have had random faults for ABS, ESP, auto headlights, eux lighting, tyre pressures, brake system failure and one or two more. The garage did find a faulty ABS sensor which I suspected anyway, so that was fixed but I'm otherwise happy with the result.

The garage folk even commented that, and I quote, "it's in great condition apart from being a peugeot" :lol: Cheeky so and so's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so maybe it wasn't sorted after all.

After the last time when the ABS sensor was replaced the car was fine for a few weeks, but then the other day as my girlfriend was driving home at night the steering suddenly went heavy and the brakes lost all power assistance :eek: The display read "brake system failure" again, and also ABS/ESP and "engine temp too high". At the same time the temp gauge needle went haywire, way up into the red and back down to bottom again.

When we first had problems a few weeks back, the battery and alternator were tested and apparently were fine, and the battery was just checked again today by our local garage. They gave it a full charge and also read fault codes before clearing and road testing, where it was all apparently ok.

But of course as soon as we collected it tonight and started her up, ABS/ESP fault :mad:

Is it possible that a battery could test fine but still be weak enough to cause all this? For all we know it could be the original. Or is it likely something more sinister is afoot? We can put up with fault codes but we really can't be driving the car if the brakes can fail at any moment.

Thanks for any advice guys.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
It is most likely something to do with the underbonnet fusebox or the wiring to it they tend to play up in cold damp conditions.

Engine and abs signals run through it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back again...

We bit the bullet and took it to Peugeot after the brake failure thing happened another couple of times. They changed an ABS sensor, coolant temp sensor and thermostat, then clubbed me over the head when my back was turned and stole £700 our of my wallet for the pleasure.

Car ran fine for 3 weeks but then last night when I started her I got ABS/ESP, auto headlights and aux lighting faults again:mad: Not a happy bunny at the moment - I did ask them at the very start if they could check the car with a new battery first, don't know if they did this but it seemed at the time the problems were fixed. I'll have to take it back in though I suspect all they will do is hook it up to diagnostics and tell me there are no faults!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts