Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post so please be gentle!

My 13 plate expert, 2.0 hdi, refused to start last week. Checked out all out, voltage as it should be, battery fully charged, so guessed it was starter. Replaced starter, still nothing. Checked ground points, all good.

Worked back, and found fuse no.8 under bonnet was blown. Replaced, but every time I go to start, it blows straight away. Thought it might be the relay, but not spending out on new fuse box to find out at the moment!

Decided to bypass ignition, and fitted a push button start. Can now get starter to engage, but doesn't crank engine. Took it out, still wired, solenoid works but simply won't crank/spin up. Removed it and hooked it up to another battery, and spins up, no problem.

At a loss. Is there another fuse on the "main" starter cable I've missed.

Help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've now hooked up the starter (not in situ) direct to the van battery, and solenoid engages and it spins up. But if I do it via the solenoid and main cable, only the solenoid engages. But I am getting over 12v on the main cable.
Now wondering if it's a dodgy earth connection. Will check tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update 2. After much searching and volt metering (?), I think I've tracked down the issue.
At the battery end of the starter cable, there's a sealed plastic block, which turns out to be a crimped fuse. As the cable was a bit green, I broke it open and discovered it has basically disintegrated into rust/corrosion.
Cleared out the debris, and 12v read before the break, 0v after and at starter. Connected the 2 bits, and 12v all the way through - and starter kicked.
Will have to cut the cable and attach a new maxi fuse, which hopefully will solve the problem.
I will post the outcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
solved The problem was the inbuilt fuse on the main starter cable. Even though I was getting 12v reading at starter, it clearly wasn't allowing enough current to actually crank it up.
Surprised that a sealed fuse could get so corroded, to such an extent that when I broke it apart, it was literally rust and verdigris that was completing the circuit.
Decided to cut and fit a mega fuse, and seems to be working (fingers crossed).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts