Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Recently I have had this issue with my '03 307 with 1.6 gas engine. Some time ago when I shut my car off, it wouldn't start anymore. All the lights on the dashboard would light up as regular, but when I turn the key into crank position the starter won't crank at all. There arent any clicking noise or any noises whatsoever when the key is in the crank position. The dashboard lights would turn off as they have to when you crank the engine. So I got my car towed home nad next morning when I was about to get it towed to the garage, it started nicely with a turn of the key. A few months later, the issue ocurred again. This time I push started the car and it was running fine again for a day. Now today the car won't crank again. I can get it running by push starting it but the starter is not working even after I have push started the car. Here is a video of the fault: youtu.be/lKcUpW-6JFI
What could be causing this and how could I fix it?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can you see your starter motor?

Try giving bit a light tap with a hammer, could possibly be sticky...

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Sounds like your starter has worn out they tend to work then not before giving up completely but could be a bad earth cable between engine and body check this first if its fine you most likely need a new starter only other thing that could cause it is ignition switch if its a mk1 model but thats harder to check.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they are common enough starters so are easily repaired but you need to be sure it is the starter before removing it.
So before removing the starter to get it serviced, I should check the starter ground? Howelse could I pinpoint the failure?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Some peugeots have a fused starter circuit, check fuses in the engine bay fuse box.
To check for bad earth, put jumper cable between battery - and a good point on the engine/gearbox or even directly to the starter body.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knocked the starter a few times with a metal rod. After knocking the starter, when I turned the key, the engine turned over many times slowly until all electrics went dark and a beeping sound played which I had heard before. I released the key from the crank position and then all the lights lit up again. Then I cranked again, this time it went slower. Currently, I left the car battery charging overnight and I will try to start the car again in the morning. I was thinking whether it could be possible that some current is leaking from somewhere around the starter hence the slow cranking I experienced.

·
6,311 Posts
Sounds like you have either a failed battery or alternator fault and battery is not charging

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had the same problem some time ago. I changed the starter and still had the same thing. My fault turned out to be corrosion in the fuse box. I cleaned it up and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Cranking slowly is caused by low volts at the starter, normally a failing battery, but it can be a poor connection somewhere.

By the way, if the starter motor has glued in magnets as so many do these days, hitting it with a hard object can cause the magnets to become dislodged, in which case it's a new starter time.
Be warned. It was a common failing on Valeo starters as few years ago.
Or maybe you have to hope they use better glue now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts