Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 1.4Hdi starter motor has decided to retire! According to the Haynes manual there are 5 different makes of starter motor fitted and depends on model which one fits which. I have had a look on ebay and using the compatibility charts have identified some that supposedly fit. Are there actually physical differences or is it down to the power levels of each motor. I would like to get the replacement in hand before taking the old one off to see what is fitted. The makes mentioned are Mitsubishi, Valeo, Ducellier, Iskra or Bosch.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I have navigated myself onto service box and inputted the vin and type of body and engine and selected electrical units and starting and it came up with a list with 40 different starter motors of all above mentioned makes?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
My understanding is that the starters are interchangeable, but individual components may not be.

·
Registered
884 Posts
My understanding is that the starters are interchangeable, but individual components may not be.
Correct,always been the case with Peugeots.

OP, I've just entered your vehicle details on the GSF car parts web site and came up with just one starter. They even give you a choice of budget or premium brand,and you get money back on your old starter.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
GSF part £105.29 That's half the value of the car! Power stated as 1.4kw Is that good or average in the grand scheme of things? I have one lined up on ebay for £39 and the power rating is the same!

·
Registered
884 Posts
GSF part £105.29 That's half the value of the car! Power stated as 1.4kw Is that good or average in the grand scheme of things? I have one lined up on ebay for £39 and the power rating is the same!
A fully reconditioned garanteed starter for £39 ?? No way,must be made of tin foil,won't last five minutes.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have found a 1.7 heavy duty one but according to the advert it only fits the 2.0Hdi model! I have emailed the seller, who has a 100% record on over 8000 transactions, to see if they sell a higher rated one for my 1.4Hdi. I know the compatibility listings are not always 100% correct but better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I got round to removing the starter and what a job. I had the car up on high ramps and a set of steps at the front as access is needed to get the beast out. I removed the air intake box as a unit and the falsework between the windscreen and the eng bay to allow me to see what is what and get some daylight on the area. The LH wheel has to be removed so that the wheel lining can be removed to get at the one bolt that has to be removed to allow the battery carrier to be removed with the rest of the fasteners accessible in the bay. I will be modifying the liner so that I can access the bolt a lot easier in the future. Now the starter is held in place with 3 Allen headed bolts(6mm), two of which you cannot really see. One of them is accessed on the gearbox side (hence the need to remove the battery tray). Two electric cables, feed and control, are removed also. The easier of the bolts is then removed(8 o clock position) and the second one is between the starter and the block at say 4 o clock position. You cannot see it but can feel it. The gearbox one(12 o clock position) is below the cable stays at the top of the gearbox( its these cable runs and the water pipes to the thermostat that block the area restricting visibility) and is only just visible. I actually disconnected the earth cable from its two bolted positions of the gearbox and inner wing to give me better access. The inner wing one had very slight signs of corrosion so that was actually a plus to be able to clean and lub ready for refit. So with the 3 bolts removed it was time to wangle it out of the bay. But bolted to the starter is a stay which is used as a mounting point for the aforementioned loom! A bit awkward to undo it as you are trying to position the starter into a accessible position to get the socket with extensions to undo it and it was tight. And the hexagon head of the bolt was slightly rounded meaning I had to use a special socket designed to cater for this. Once that was done the starter was removed out through the top. I could not find a position to wrangle it past the driveshaft and with the falsework removed the top was the way.
So I took the starter to my local GT motor factors who had it on the shelf for £66 They wanted the old one or £20 more. I had to remove a dowel and transfer it to the new one and so now it is ready to go in. Not today though as it is raining!!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I had to get someone to help me redo the starter connectors as I couldn’t get my arms in there

A higher rated starter motor isn’t needed on these cars it’s just the 2.0hdi that needs more crank

If your that worried just upgrade to a bigger battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was not worried and it seemed the standard motor has lasted 17 years so I have stuck to the standard. The one removed was a Valeo by the way. How did you manage the awkward bolts then as the electric cables are easy from the bottom I have found.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
The starters on the smaller engines are all basically the same as you now seem to have discovered its just they use different suppliers so what gets fitted depends on what is available at time of building.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I was not worried and it seemed the standard motor has lasted 17 years so I have stuck to the standard. The one removed was a Valeo by the way. How did you manage the awkward bolts then as the electric cables are easy from the bottom I have found.

Asked a neighbour with smaller hands lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a correction on my removal details. The second bolt I mentioned is actually the top left at say 10-11 o clock position but you have to get at the head of the bolt behind the starters solenoid. (old age and memory is my excuse for recording it wrongly) On my first attempt to refit it I ended up having to remove the cable runs from their mounting plate so that I could refit that to the motor on the bench. I tried for ages trying to,one handed,hold the starter still and get the mounting bolt in the starters casing at the same time. Having got over that obstacle I found,after getting the easier bolt in, that I could not get the starter square on its mounting due to the top left bolt has a centring spacer fitted which was still in the old starter when I removed it. I had transferred that on to the new starter but have now removed it and fitted it in to the gearbox so hopefully I will have better luck lining it up at the next attempt. Hopefully tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So yesterday I finally managed to get the starter refitted. It is a pig of a job as it is a one handed job that needs two hands but unless you are tiny or a contortionist that is not possible. I somehow finally got it positioned whereby I got the easier lower one in place and decided to see if the gearbox end bolt would start and lo and behold it did. So I tightened that a lot(these bolts are 3inches long!) and got the awkward one behind the solenoid started and ended up tightening all three with the starter flush to the box. Result at last. When sorting out the wiring I found I plug that I cannot remember removing and cannot find anywhere for it to fit. It is in the loom beside the what looks like a fuel filter cannister but is a accumulator of fuel that feeds the hp pump. It is black and round and sits just below the brake reservoir that mounts on the lh falsework. Anybody any idea as to what they are both are?

Attachments

·
6,000 Posts
Does the plug all look the same colour. It possible it was never plugged in to anything some models come with a water sensor in the fuel filter it maybe for that if it was fitted

1 - 20 of 32 Posts