Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My peugeot 307 2.0 hdi 90 starter is not turning the engine over that fast when cold in only just starts! it could still be on the original starter with the numbers 96 562 994 80 and m000t 86081 is this a 1.4 or is it 1.7 kw? Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had similar issues, and it was solved simply by replacing the battery. Starts first time, every time now, even when it's well below freezing. I've still got the original starter motor in mine.
When I got my car a few years ago it was in the summer time and all was well, however as things got colder it turned over slower, so I looked at the battery and was not impressed with peugeot battery clamps that could not be made tight (just pull down lever type/ride on lawn mower!!) so I changed them to the type with a bolt in them. This did not improve things to much so I changed the battery for the one off my scraped vw tdi it was slightly bigger, this battery must be 6 years old now so a new one could be a easy fix as the starter looks a bugger to get to and change, I was thinking that the original starter was a 1.4kw so if changed to a new 1.7 that would be a good boost to the starting of the engine. Is the 027 the right battery or would a bigger one do a better job?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I was also tempted to wallop out the starter motor, but I convinced myself to just try a new battery, and it worked.

I bought a battery from GSF with a high CCA for about £50, there was a promotion on their website, I'll try find the details for you.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My peugeot 307 2.0 hdi 90 starter is not turning the engine over that fast when cold in only just starts! it could still be on the original starter with the numbers 96 562 994 80 and m000t 86081 is this a 1.4 or is it 1.7 kw? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure thats the 1.4kw mitsubishi starter motor.

Our old 206 2ltr hdi had it fitted from new - put a bigger battery on as it was only fitted with a small 45ah one, made no difference.

New 1.7kw starter and all was solved.

If you are in the market for a new battery and are local enough I may have a couple of cheap options.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure thats the 1.4kw mitsubishi starter motor.

Our old 206 2ltr hdi had it fitted from new - put a bigger battery on as it was only fitted with a small 45ah one, made no difference.

New 1.7kw starter and all was solved.

If you are in the market for a new battery and are local enough I may have a couple of cheap options.
Thanks but i'm in norfolk, I will borrow a recent new battery from car of a relation, I should then know if its the battery or the starter.

·
5,631 Posts
Double checking it looks like Mitsubishi number is listed as 1.4 but other listing show the PSA number as 1.7 KW (possible PSA changed spec for that part no)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Double checking it looks like Mitsubishi number is listed as 1.4 but other listing show the PSA number as 1.7 KW (possible PSA changed spec for that part no)
Its a possibility but the 1.7kw I put on ours in replacement was much bigger in diameter. Only difference in fitting iirc (car is long gone) was that the new one was a lucas unit and I had to fit a different crimp terminal for solenoid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried a much bigger battery that was 750cca it was a bugger to get in and out!!!. The improvement on cranking speed was marginal. I have looked on ebay and other online sellers and the one that seemed a good buy was a ROLLCO STM509 1.8KW @ £63. Any thoughts on that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts