Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
307 Rapier HDi 90bhp

Afternoon people,

Took the kids to the cinema yesterday (Toy Story 3, marvellous :D ) and when we came out the car was dead, wouldn't turn over at all. So after the kids had received counselling for having to walk home, I came on here to see what gives.

A few threads were like mine and it all pointed towards a new starter motor, so went and picked it up today and got a friend to jump start me, started straight away so I took it for a 10 mile ride, got home parked it up and tried to restart straight away. It was exactly the same dead.

Now what I know about cars can be wrote on a crisp packet but when I was attempting to start it yesterday the dash/instrument panel didn't always light up, so you had to turn off takes keys out and try again before trying to start.

After every attempt to start the dash/inst display would go off and you would a here a clicking/resetting sound in the Glovebox Fusebox. I also noticed when I was driving today that every now and then the Rev Counter would just go from 2000 to 0 as though the car had been turned off, then instantly flick back to where it was. This has also been happening every now and then with this Temp Gauge too.

Now this might have nothing to do with any of this, I had my ABS fixed last year as the sensor was constantly coming on and not long after there was a fault with the Airbag light as now it always comes on.

So my question (sorry for it being long winded) is this, is it the starter motor, the battery, an electrical fault or something else?

If you need any more info just let me know, but remember ask in "idiot" so I can understand it :thumb:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Could be a number of things operating independently or collectively I reckon. You will need a multimeter to check things

Trying to keep it simple - at a basic level I would check the voltage of the battery with no load on it - it should be holding around 13.3 volts or preferably a little more.

If it's under 13v without anything switched on in the car there is a problem, you then need to check the charging system output at the battery to see if it increases with the engine running.

If it does increase voltage but then drops back down below 13v after being stood idle a while, suspect the battery.

If it aint charging and increasing the voltage - (make sure the alternator belt is still on of course) suspect the alternator.

You also need to check that both battery terminals have good clean and tight connections to the power leads, if not - the extra resistance from any corrosion can sap an awful lot of power from a battery.

You should check the connections for a good earth/cleanliness at the starter motor end as well.

S

·
0 Posts
Battery more than likely, had this last weekend (for the 2nd time i might add!)

Serves me right for buying a battery from the scrappy as a quick fix! :(

You'll probably also notice if you jump it and take it for a drive, when you operate the windows it will kill the dash off as well :p

Turned out 3 of the cells on my battery had fouled up and the battery was no longer accepting charge, mine died in the space of a minute (i kid you not!)

I'm still in the "seeing how it goes" phase this week but all seems well again!

So my 1st choice would be battery!! :thumb:

Oh and as charlie mentioned, battery connections, my negative is a bugger for working loose!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't have a multimeter myself but Father-In-law does but he was out, so I cleaned the terminals and connectors (quite a bit of crap on the +) and then took the battery off and put it on a charger/maint. thing I have, It did a diag check and initially gave an error that said it was greater than 17.5v. I reset it and tried again and it gave a different error that basically said "replace the battery"

Thanks for all your help people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts