Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an odd one here. Key unlocking door, in ignition getting positions 1 and 2 OK but when turning to start - absolutely nothing. No starter or starter solenoid.

Put some WD40 in the lock barrel and left a while and it started OK. Same this morning, fine on the first and second go (I started it, drove to the top of a slope and turned engine off).

But when I got to work 20 minutes later and turned the engine off and tried to start again, nothing.

OH suggested trying the spare key but that didn't work either.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Got an odd one here. Key unlocking door, in ignition getting positions 1 and 2 OK but when turning to start - absolutely nothing. No starter or starter solenoid.

Put some WD40 in the lock barrel and left a while and it started OK. Same this morning, fine on the first and second go (I started it, drove to the top of a slope and turned engine off).

But when I got to work 20 minutes later and turned the engine off and tried to start again, nothing.

OH suggested trying the spare key but that didn't work either.
this is not a key issue or immobilizer it could be the back of the ignition barrel where the wires go or a wiring fault but most likely the starter motor solenoid

P

·
0 Posts
Both battery leads on ok? My negative lead had somehow come loose once, key to 1 & 2, all ok, try to start and nothing. Worth a check?

·
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery leads ok. Will whip off the steering cowl and see how things are there.

Our minibus at work has the same fault and it was the starter solenoid.

This is the one in stock at my local Euro:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeot_307_2.0_2003/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/starter-motor/?402735131&1&3770aeb350233ec738ecd2eae859c0554658c3fd&000308

A quick Google found someone else with a 307 with the same problem - dead when warm but fine when car is cold, and it was the solenoid. He got it repaired.

P

·
0 Posts
Battery leads ok. Will whip off the steering cowl and see how things are there.

Our minibus at work has the same fault and it was the starter solenoid.

This is the one in stock at my local Euro:

Lucas Peugeot | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

A quick Google found someone else with a 307 with the same problem - dead when warm but fine when car is cold, and it was the solenoid. He got it repaired.
Hmm we could take it off and try and serving your current starter if your over this weekend?

Edit: Wont planet pick up if there is a fault with the immobilizer?

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
Its not the immobiliser as the starter is not cut with the immobiliser

It will most likely be the starter solenoid the oil and heat gets to them and they give up sometimes with no warning.

It can sometimes be the trigger wiring is not carrying enough current in these cases a relay wired in to send battery voltage to the solenoid can cure it.

We had this loads of times on the taxis but for some reason the newer ones seem less troublesome

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Gibbo

Pretty sure it's the starter motor but if you can give me the last 8 digits of your chassis number then I can check the wiring diagrams and give you a good way of finding out the answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts