Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi had the car for nearly a week now and I've not had the start stop kick in yet.

Read on other posts that battery maybe under charged which is understandable as car been at dealers since January and covered 7miles from then to me picking it up.

But yesterday I gave it a good drive 150+ miles A-roads and Motorway all way back (although was rush hour so fair amount of traffic)

However it still wasn't working by time I came off the motorway

Surely battery be fully charged by the above drive.

Car going to dealers tomorrow as spare key lost its connection with the car so being reprogrammed. Will ask them about start stop... But any ideas on here

2016 1.2 puretech EAT6 - Allure model

·
Registered
978 Posts
We became owners of our 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 308 Active SW (phew, wotta mouthful) in September 2016 at 17 months old. The start/stop always seemed a bit flaky but during mid 2016 it became more and more reluctant to engage. We took it to our local dealers who did some tests, charged the battery up and asked us to try driving it for a while to see if it would return. It didn't get any better.

We weren't able get anything done before we went away on our summer holiday and I really could have done with the start/stop when driving through Paris and the like! Anyway, back in the UK in September we booked the car in. They tried various things (with us driving it for a week or two each time) and we eventually got it back in November with it fixed.

They had changed the radio unit, fitted a new battery (the original one was only charging up to 75%) and replaced the servo air flaps behind the front grill that I can remember. There may have been other things but as it all (except for the servo flaps) was under warranty I can't be sure.

In summary - get it done under warranty if you can! There are a seemingly limitless number of things that have to be right for start/stop to work and you really don't want to be paying for it out of your own pocket. The battery seems to be crucial and does not have a long life for the very fussy system. What would be good enough for any normal car probably won't be for start/stop.

My opinion is that start/stop is a bit of a gimmick. If it goes wrong again after the warranty has run out and I can't ascertain why using Diagbox there's a strong possibility that it'll remain unfixed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brilliant thanks will definitely mention it tomorrow. Car 3 years old end of may and got another 11months warranty from the dealer. Do will push for it to get sorted.

My previous car was a VW CC 2013 2.0tdi manual and start stop worked well in that. Obviously have to let engine get to temperature etc and in winter months didn't work too well with longer to get warm etc. But on normal days n summer. Worked faultless

·
Registered
978 Posts
They'll probably ask you to see if it kicks in after a long drive. When it didn't work after a trip to Birmingham (~75 miles) they accepted that something was wrong.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently disable the stop/start (i.e. without having to press the button each time I start the car)?

I find the system (in all cars) a bit of a gimmick and whilst fine if your car is stopped for 30 seconds plus, when crawling in a traffic jam I find it a pain. Plus have concerns for the longevity of the parts with all the engine starting. I also find myself leaving the clutch in so the engine doesn't switch off!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I'm sure you are not the first to ask that, and I'm equally sure that the answer was no.
It is a pain in slow moving traffic I do agree.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently disable the stop/start (i.e. without having to press the button each time I start the car)?

I find the system (in all cars) a bit of a gimmick and whilst fine if your car is stopped for 30 seconds plus, when crawling in a traffic jam I find it a pain. Plus have concerns for the longevity of the parts with all the engine starting. I also find myself leaving the clutch in so the engine doesn't switch off!
I find it a waste of time first thing I do when I go out is switch the damn thing off If mine is vet went wrong it would stay broken.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The best thing I can suggest is to change one of the factors that are checked before the start/stop is given the OK. If you can get hold of a battery that is "only" capable of being 75% charged that'll be good enough for everything except the start/stop.

One other line to investigate might be to disable the ultra capacitor in some way. As this is only used for the start/stop that would surely, err, stop the start/stop. Rather than physically disabling the ultra capacitor, which would surely throw up errors, maybe its presence could be switched off using Diagbox?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Sitting in slow moving traffic, which we get more than our correct share of here in the UK, You stop behind the car in front, the engine stops and immediately the car ahead moves off, so you have to wait for the engine to start again. the engine would literally have been off for 15 seconds. This can happen time and time again.
How long is a starter motor supposed to last?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't see any problem with that. I'm sure that starter is projected to do what it supposed to do. Like any other piece of equipment.
I have nothing to do but to press clutch and go, with or without S&S system.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sitting in slow moving traffic, which we get more than our correct share of here in the UK, You stop behind the car in front, the engine stops and immediately the car ahead moves off, so you have to wait for the engine to start again. the engine would literally have been off for 15 seconds. This can happen time and time again.
How long is a starter motor supposed to last?
I have been told that is not the stater motor that powers the start and stop system but the alternator, ive googled this;

This second generation stop/start technology has a reversible alternator and this allows the stop/start kit to integrate with the electrics. The new generation has 70% more power on restart and it has 50% more pulling power when starting up from cold.

By 2016/2017 the e-Hdi system will come as standard on all Peugeot/Citroen cars. According to the PSA group the system will work for at least 600,000 restarts, while a conventional engine is good for 50,000 restarts.

·
6,587 Posts
VW say nearly the same thing abiut how long the system will last but a friend has alternator/starter fail a year out of warranty on his Golf and a replacement cost him best part of £700.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update- went to dealer they checked the car and said battery charged to around 65% and nerds to be around 76-80% and has car been stood for a while when on sale that why it take a while getting it back up.

Sounds reasonable although a 150+ miles trip with over 4hours driving all be it an hour in traffic u would think it should be charged up. Will monitor it

Another guy there had same query and thy said your battery 70%
Need to drive it a bit otherwise we can keep the car at dealership for a couple of days and monitor it. He opted to take it as had no means of getting home. They did say next courtesy car in 3weeks so could book it in then for them to have a look.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Have you got a battery charger you can put on it overnight?

Regarding the start stop mechanism, I can clearly hear the starter engaging on restart.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have been told that is not the stater motor that powers the start and stop system but the alternator, ive googled this;

This second generation stop/start technology has a reversible alternator and this allows the stop/start kit to integrate with the electrics. The new generation has 70% more power on restart and it has 50% more pulling power when starting up from cold.

By 2016/2017 the e-Hdi system will come as standard on all Peugeot/Citroen cars. According to the PSA group the system will work for at least 600,000 restarts, while a conventional engine is good for 50,000 restarts.
Yes, e-HDi has a combo alternator/starter, but I think that BlueHDi has separated devices again.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yes, e-HDi has a combo alternator/starter, but I think that BlueHDi has separated devices again.
That's correct. When ours was in I asked about this and the service manager said that our car used a heavy duty starter motor, not a reversible alternator.

Coincidentally they had a 3008 in (don't know which engine), also with a start/stop problem, and that used the reversible alternator.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Not sure what you meant by that as on our car the fan keeps running when the engine is stopped under start/stop conditions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts