Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 307 (2003 reg) has a squeaking sound when I use the clutch pedal. It tends to be when I'm letting the cluth pedal out and bringing my foot up.

The place I bought the car from suggests it's because they cleaned the engine prior to selling it to me and they claim they must have removed grease from the clutch arm, causing it to squeak. This doesn't sound right to me but my techincal knowledge in relation to car mechanics is limited at best.

Could anyone advise here please?

Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
you said it seems to be coming from the front left, so assuming it can't just be the sometimes springy pedal itself, I'd suggest it could be the dual mass flywheel on it's way out. Anyone else thinking the same...?

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
DMF was my first thought too. If they think that's the problem, why not get them to try that? Grease isn't dear!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either DMF or it would be the thrust bearing. Is it a squeek or a continuous squeal?
It's a squeak, as if something was loose.

I had a bit of a testing session last night and found that it might not be directly related to the clutch after all.

I sat on my drive and moved the clutch pedal in and out gently, no noise. It seems that the clutch pedal may be throwing me out because this is the most common time for it to happen but I suspect it's actually a case of something being loose and squeaking when the car shakes.

I took it for a drive on a country road to test this, it was doing the squeak when going over bumpy bits of road, without the clutch being depressed or even touched.

There may also be a bit of light bumping towards the back of the car but I'm not sure if this is normal coming from a VW to Peugeot and noticing there's quite a difference in noise and ride etc.

Could this be a loose item such as exhaust I wonder?

·
Registered
62 Posts
i had a very loud squeeking in my old 307 when letting the clutch out turned out to be the drop cable? and new clutch was needed.

In my current 307 i have a squeeking noise on the biting point of 1st and the change from 1st to 2nd so think thats the flywheel. it also makes a noise when engine is turned off, a very rough squeek/shake

D

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the clutch pressure plate. does it squeak when the car is turned off and press the clutch?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the noise inside the car or outside? Ie. at the pedal itself?
Definitely outside, people can hear it as I drive past them.

It seems to make the noise when the car jerks forward slightly, say when changing gear sometimes and there's a slight change in the car's current speed. Jerk may be too harsh a word, I don't mean kangarooing, but when you change gear you can sometimes feel a car's progression change if that makes sense.

I'm starting to think it's something loose under the car to be honest, but not sure what...

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have had same problem

i have had the same problem with my 307 sw, since i brought it nearly a year ago, it was an exhaust gasket between the middle section of exhaust and the cat. the gasket is like a metal gauze and mine had been totally squished had trouble getting it out, but everything is fine now no squeaks or people looking at me like my car is falling apart

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funnily enough I was starting to think it was someting to do with the exhaust after a bit more driving and listening.

How did you go about getting it sorted? I am wondering if it's a quick fix and a couple of quid job at the garage or if it's something expensive?

·
Registered
9 Posts
the part was only a couple of quid , there are some on ebay i think. to replace you have to pop the middle section of the exhaust out of the front ,take the old one out and put new one in, a freind did mine for free as he is a mechanic and could put it up on the ramps

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem Solved!

The problem was that whoever owned the car before me has had the exhaust replaced with an after market exhaust. It's a standard one, not a boy racer one thankfully :)

When the exhaust was fixed they neglected to grease the joint apparently and now it's been done with copper grease the squeak has gone.

Result :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts