Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can anyone advise. I have just bought a 206 cabriolet 2002. On test drive the speedo was fine. The seller then took it for MOT and service and had to have the brakes and discs replaced. I then had the car and on the first drive I found the speedo to be faulty. It shows 20mph but in fact it is doing 30-35mph. My husband then drove it and said that the speedo took some time before it started showing the speed. He agrees the car is driving faster than the speedo is registering. Could the work done on the brakes etc have effected the speedo? Can anyone advise please before I get ripped off for being a female driver!!!!

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Yes the speed sensor must have been affected with the brakes,not a big job, can`t remember exactly but local dealer should be able to sort it fairly cheaply .(get quote first) don`t panic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much. reading all round the internet I as hoping someone would think it was the sensor not the whole assembly. We shall take it back to the garage where the brakes were done and see what happens. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re speedo fault

As per your advice I have had the speedo sensors done. Didn't fix it. The diagnostic system showed no faults but the car is still doing 11 mph more than is registering on the speedo. I have now been told that I need a new dashboard kit at a cost of over £400 plus. However they cannot guarantee this will fix the problem.
Has anyone any idea what I can do?

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
If its the instument cluster then yes they are dear, why not try a scrapyard ask what the return policy is (think its 10% of price and back inside seven days) try it out if it works great if not return and lose 10%,make sure you get one with less mileage than your car because the car will store the greater mileage in the brain, thus increasing your mileage if you get one with more mileage (make sure and tell the scrapman that also).
This will either fix the problem or rule out the instrument cluster, by the way what diagnostic was it read with , "Peugeot Planet" diagnostic should have picked this fault up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that. That seems like a good idea. I do not know what diagnostic it was. I went to a local diagnostic garage which do have quite a good reputation. I did not go to the Peugeot dealer. My garage did a full diagnostic check and said nothing showed up which is why they tried installing the speed sensors but sadly that didn't fix anything. They were only guessing that the dashboard kit might fix it. If they had been sure I would go for it. I shall take your advice and try our ONE local scrap dealer and see what happens. ...WAtch this space!!!:lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spwwdo fault update

I have now sent the instrument cluster off to a company for repair. They have phonedto say that they cannot find any fault with the speedo although the needle has been dropping back every time I use the car. Soon I'll be doing 130mph before I get in gear!!!! They say that the fault could lie with the Body Control Unit and I now have to locate that and take it off. Does anyone think it might be that and is it fixable?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.