Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve said from the start that this car is faster than it feels, having been sitting comfortably at 80mph without realising then looking down at the speedo to get a surprise.

This could be partly to do with the fact my last car was an Alfa with poorly fitting panels and lots of road noise, of course.

I also said my first speeding offence would come from this car and yesterday unfortunately, I fear that the prophecy was fulfilled... driving along and saw two almighty flashes from what I later realised was a camera.

Okay it was a fair cop of an honest mistake by a relatively well hidden camera.

So a few points come from this really... does anyone else think the car is faster than it feels? Would it have been worth getting speed camera warnings after all? (I know similar discussions about the value of the warnings have already happened)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Snap Herbi.
Sitting higher than my previous vehicle does in my opinion give the impression of driving at a slower speed, and you are right too about the lack of noise.
I find even at 70 (as my nose suddenly grows) and with Focal’s sound insulation the noise does not register the speed. Even the revs are that low it sometimes beggars belief!

·
Administrator
2,878 Posts
The speed certainly does creep up.

I'm very used to having the blues and twos on and going quickly so have to be very wary when driving my 3008.

Paul

·
Registered
295 Posts
I’ve said from the start that this car is faster than it feels, having been sitting comfortably at 80mph without realising then looking down at the speedo to get a surprise.

This could be partly to do with the fact my last car was an Alfa with poorly fitting panels and lots of road noise, of course.

I also said my first speeding offence would come from this car and yesterday unfortunately, I fear that the prophecy was fulfilled... driving along and saw two almighty flashes from what I later realised was a camera.

So a few points come from this really... does anyone else think the car is faster than it feels? Would it have been worth getting speed camera warnings after all? (I know similar discussions about the value of the warnings have already happened)
Be great to know what car you're talking about...Petrol?, Diesel?, 1.2?, 1.6?. 2.0?
Go on...tell us.
Regards
Mike.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

Another free option cruise control or speed limiter :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've always found this with a new car. It's a learning curve of course but I'm always extra diligent with a new car - watching the speedo constantly as I know I'll over do it at some point otherwise! After a couple of weeks I'm used to it like every other car I've had.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah my last few cars have all had digital speedos which I've gotten used to. When I drive my wife's car (as infrequently as possible coz its a Jazz, which I feel you `put on` rather than `get in`) which has the analogue set up...I worry having to continually check it...to me its become much more difficult to read at a glance as opposed to the digital one.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1.2 Peteol Manual, Mike!

There’s also the view that if you’re looking at your Speedo all the time then you’re not looking at the road and crash into the police officer rather than getting caught by him :lol:

And yes cruise control is great but it has its limits round town!

·
Registered
92 Posts
And yes cruise control is great but it has its limits round town!
Cruise control has a limited use. Speed limiter though, thats a different matter altogether. I use it every single day, whenever I am in a camera controlled area, and would never consider buying a car that didn't have one. The single most useful gadget on the car, bar none.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

The good news is, if you weren't speeding too much you'll probably be offered a "speed awareness course".
I did one of those a few years ago and found it totally patronising and boring. However it costs the same a a fine (or there a bouts) and one doesn't get the points. Just 4 hours of being back at primary school.
Interesting thing was most of the people there were my age. Hardly any whipper snappers as I was expecting.
I got the camera extra and am really pleased with it.

GRUMPY.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Speeding can never been condoned but these courses run from the dark ages - I did one 12 months ago and you are spot on patronising is about right.

According to the two guys running the course braking in a car today takes a longer distance than in a Ford Anglia from 1970's as cars are heavier - right oh, so we have not improved braking technology at all in 45 years.

I did learn to slow down a bit but I was never a race car driver anyway and after 32 years of driving to get 3 points was not nice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i find that i feel as though i could get out and push when im doing 30mph its only when i look at the speedo and wonder am i really doing that speed was going at 70 on motorway thought i was going 45-50 height plus little noise equals points ....not yet but have to take care as easy to do

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

I received the notice of intended prosecution amongst my Christmas post.

As we probably assumed/knew, the 3008 speedo is set around 3mph high

I’m now off to the post office to buy a stamp to send the return back to PC Plod... might include a Christmas card? Maybe not...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sympathies are with you.

I guess your story could bring some insight to those that question the value of the £139 for the speed camera database.

While I'm not a speeder in general, I do find it so easy to creep over the speed limit a little from time to time. I do set the limiter, but I sometimes forget when entering the speed restricted zones.
For me the reminder from the speed camera gadget is really helpful. It also serves to remind me to set the limiter.

You Herbi, will now have to fork out £100 and take the points if it's a fixed penalty or cough up in the region of £100 for the naughty boys course.

On the bright side, you should include a Christmas card :lol:

Grumpy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not really. Quite the opposite actualy. I sit higher than I use to, so it feels like it's slower.
That's exactly what he means : the car goes faster than it feels. In other words, you think you go slow but actually you go fast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts