Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my Mums 406 Sedan (2000 Australia) The jack on top of the spare wheel rattles over bumps speed humps etc.

It seems the strap that holds down the spare wheel and jack holder is coming loose. I have tried a few time to get it to stay tight but it always comes loose.

I hoping someone can tell me how it should tighten in case I have the strap on the buckle in wrong.

The noise sounds like a rattle under the car so is very noticeable and taking out the spare and the sound is gone.

Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Mine did this slightly. I just bunged a few microfibre cloths in there and it stopped it. You aren't going to see them as it's underneath the boot carpet.
Plus handy cloths come wheel change time.

·
5,087 Posts
I have a circle of carpet that fits over the jack etc to stop rattles,it doubles up a somewhere to kneel on should i need to change a wheel. Not that i ever would as i pay the RAC to do that but............well you know :rolleyes:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't have the car handy to check, but if it's the same as the strap in the 407 there's a way which keeps it tight and another which doesn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the clothes and it stopped it a little, Then I notice the wheel brace was not tight in the foam so took it out and it went quiet.

Also the end of the jack thread part was out too far and hitting the inside of the rim.

So seems ok now. Oh and my mum wont have to change the wheel either as she has the "RACV' (Victoria Australia) to do that for her if I'm not around to help.

Also I noticed the boot lid was a bit to low on the left hand side and had left a scratch mark on top of the tail light so to fix that today I will go and get a piece of stick on foam (thin type) so it hits that instead.

Also glad I saw the car as the rear tyres need replacing and with a bit of rain this time of the year down here they will be replaced asap.

Stopping the noise was my idea as I hate rattles (not that I drive the car much but still) and I'm glad I saw the tyres needed replacing.

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts