Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve got knocking from the front-end - again!!!!
Honestly, the front suspension on my 307 is like Triggers frigging broom it`s been replaced that many times, or so it seems..
I`ve located the source to the track rod ends and i thought bloody hell, i only did them a couple of years ago, but looking through the emails of when i bought the parts it was actually 4 years.
Even so, that`s only about 20,000 miles - how come the OEM parts lasted 100K yet cheapy shite from `tinternet only last a fifth of that....! (i know, they`re cheap for a reason..)

Anyway, there`s so much choice these days, what brand of spare parts in general - and on this occasion/in particular rod-ends - should i be looking for so i have many miles of knock-free motoring ahead?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think you have partly answered your own question. When you buy cheap shite off the internet, you get what you pay for. As with anything on the internet, you have to be so careful, so much counterfeit crap around. Top brand names to look for Lemforder, FebiBilstein, TRW and GKN to name just four. If you go to one of the top UK parts suppliers like GSF, in most cases you will be given a choice, O/E part or a budget brand.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Honestly, the front suspension on my 307 is like Triggers frigging broom it`s been replaced that many times, or so it seems..
I`ve located the source to the track rod ends and i thought bloody hell, i only did them a couple of years ago, but looking through the emails of when i bought the parts it was actually 4 years.
Even so, that`s only about 20,000 miles - how come the OEM parts lasted 100K yet cheapy shite from `tinternet only last a fifth of that....! (i know, they`re cheap for a reason..)

Anyway, there`s so much choice these days, what brand of spare parts in general - and on this occasion/in particular rod-ends - should i be looking for so i have many miles of knock-free motoring ahead?
SKF or Monroe

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used an Elring seal as I thought they were a good brand but after a short time it had failed and was letting oil out so I went with a Topran seal as a replacement and it's been perfect since. So even good brands aren't always brilliant.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
7,227 Posts
Meyle are also good, they do some Heavy Duty drop links for the 307 they were more expensive but outlasted anything else. I had some for over 60K miles on my old 307 SW and they were still fine when i sold it. The previous cheap ones were lucky to last more than 2 Yrs

Reactions: robertjlewis1

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers, Windy.
What do you think of these;

That website has a rediculous choice - there must be dozens of brands on there to choose from, and all suspiciously cheap, even makes like Monroe, SKF, FebiBilstein and these Meyle at or under a tenner...

·
7,227 Posts
They look ok.

I have got a couple of things from them in the past and they were legit however shipping was a little slow as they come from Europe

Plus point is cost they were way cheaper on sachs (oem supplier) rear shocks than any other supplier

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts

I find if I use eurocarparts.co.uk you get a choice of cheap or top end and top end is still relatively reasonably priced plus they always have a money off code (top right of screen when you log in)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meyle are also good,
I`ve ordered a pair of Meyle from buycarparts dot co dot uk, but when i completed the checkout i saw that i actually bought from Autodoc in Germany!!
So the postage will be a few days, no bother, i tend to save the jobs up on the 307 and do them all in one hit, and with the dark evenings it`s weekends only at this time of year....
I think i bought from them before, it didn`t take long to get here, so if they`re no good Windy you owe me 30 quid!😄

·
Registered
4 Posts
I`ve ordered a pair of Meyle from buycarparts dot co dot uk, but when i completed the checkout i saw that i actually bought from Autodoc in Germany!!
So the postage will be a few days, no bother, i tend to save the jobs up on the 307 and do them all in one hit, and with the dark evenings it`s weekends only at this time of year....
I think i bought from them before, it didn`t take long to get here, so if they`re no good Windy you owe me 30 quid!😄
I said use https://www.eurocarparts.com/ so if they are no good down to you not reading my advise properly 😆

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I`m quite familiar with Eurocarparts, but didn`t order from them this time as i wasn`t overly keen on their selection.
I`m also a bit put off by their constant, never-ending 365 days-a-year "sale". You have no idea of the original quality/value/cost of any part on their site if it`s always "60% off".............

·
7,227 Posts
I avoid ECP now due to long delays on click and collect, and the stupid sales which don't save you anything

A year or so ago the discounts were mostly good deals now 95% of the time I can find the same item elsewhere cheaper than the sale price.

Some of the savings they quote are pie in the sky. They had 60% of oil a short time ago and listed the retail price of mobile 1 especially at over £110. Halfords had it for £65 and opie oils (who i now use for most oils) £37 delivered

·
Registered
27 Posts
I avoid ECP now due to long delays on click and collect, and the stupid sales which don't save you anything

A year or so ago the discounts were mostly good deals now 95% of the time I can find the same item elsewhere cheaper than the sale price.

Some of the savings they quote are pie in the sky. They had 60% of oil a short time ago and listed the retail price of mobile 1 especially at over £110. Halfords had it for £65 and opie oils (who i now use for most oils) £37 delivered

You need to know exactly which part you need with ECP too as twice now I've ordered some parts which according to them were correct fitment by inputting my registration number only to find upon delivery that they weren't correct at all. Spark plugs being one and O2 sensor another.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts

I used to have my own car repair business, now retired.
I always thought that Euro Car Parts were never the same after Singh Ahluwalia sold the business to LKQ Corporation about ten years ago.
I found that GSF car parts were much more efficient and better to deal with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts