Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Had to do a 160 mile round trip today in 30+c temperatures on the M62. We had the aircon on for most of the trip. On the way back we got the dreaded engine problem notification and the spanner icon came on. We got the usual map with about 50 garages to visit. We didn't seem to be in limp home mode but it's quite alarming especially on a motorway.
A quick google came across a post on a car forum (it might have been this one, I can't remember) saying that in very hot weather if they had the aircon on the spanner light would always eventually come on, but if the aircon wasn't used it never did.
We did stop for a while and when we started off the icon had gone. Am I right in assuming that the icon doesn't normally go until the problem is rectified and the car has been reset. I'm hoping this is just a heat related glitch. Has anyone else experienced this ? and am I correct about the icon normally persisting until the problem is resolved.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I had a similar thing happen in a 3008 SUV I owned every time I was overtaken by a motorcycle! It was cured by a software update at the next service by Peugeot. There was a TSB for it I think.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You'll have stored fault codes, read them out and take it from there. Cars are tested in far more extreme conditions than these (never mind normal driving in countries with hotter weather anyway).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,

This might be another old gremlin; did at that time a motorcycle passed right next to you?
Thanks, Mooi1uk mentioned that one as well. It's possible I didn't notice. I do know that the spanner hasn't reappeared since. I think it's most likely an aircon glitch in very hot (for the UK) weather. Thanks for all the ideas everyone. ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoke too soon about the spanner. It came on this morning with the missus on the way to work, this time apparently there was a message about oil pressure and the car went in to limp home mode. She got it to a local garage but as it's still (just) under warranty, I hope, it'll have to go to Peugeot. Can anyone confirm if the standard warranty is 3 years ?
I'm starting to lose faith in this car, less than three years old and two major issues in less than 12 months.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If your planning on keeping the vehicle maybe think about extending the warranty with Peugeot.

You can only extend the Peugeot warranty while the original 3 year manufacturers warranty is active!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Just remember you need to have an active Peugeot warranty to be able to extend it - if you let a Peugeot warranty expire it cannot be extended or reinstated again.

Im currently in year 5 of warranty coverage, I've extended the Peugeot warranty twice so far.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I hate problems like this, as they make you uncertain about the cars reliability.

You'll be covered within the three year warranty, so that should be OK.

Don't want to go off topic but as I looked into this before for my first GT, the Peugeot extended warranty isn't that expensive either - Something like £250 per year (and payable interest free over 10 months). My view was a couple of hours labour or a few parts and that's paid for itself. It has already been said, but if you don't take it out before the original three year manufacturers warranty expires, you cannot then buy it later from Peugeot (or Car Care Plan).

Lifted from the official quote - for £250 you get:
  • Available as an Annual Policy or a Monthly Renewing Policy
  • Covers your vehicle up to 4 years from date of first registration or 100,000 miles (whichever occurs sooner)
  • Extensive component coverage
  • No limit on the number of claims (claim values capped at vehicle purchase price)
  • Repairs carried out by Peugeot Authorised Repairers or a repairer of your choice
  • Only Peugeot genuine parts are used (at Peugeot Authorised Repairers)
  • UK and European cover
  • MOT test insurance is included (up to £750 including VAT)
  • Fully transferable following a private sale
Or £289 to include RAC assistance & recovery.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I think we'll extend the warranty even though we're less than impressed with Peugeot right now, blaming absolutely everything on Covid. The car is stuck on the drive having been driven back from the local garage and barely got back. Reading around it seems we could have had it fixed there but the man the missus phoned didn't mention that. On Thursday we have to somehow get a borked car about 10 miles to the nearest dealership which could fit us in, in a sensible time frame. Hopefully Road Rescue will do the business.
We also mentioned a courtesy car, the answer was they weren't doing them at the moment. Mrs Yorks asked if we could hire one and charge them, the man on the phone didn't know and said someone would get back to us (they haven't yet). Looking at the warranty T's and C's online it even mentions hiring a comparable car which will be refunded.
If anyone knows the CS e-mail address that would be helpful, I probably can't see for looking but struggled to find it.
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would press for a courtesy car, you should get one from the dealer as its under warranty
My experience with my 'major' issue of my 2017 5008 (warranty expires October), the dealer has still been unable to resolve the engine fault, and after a month of me using one of their cars (a Citroen c3), they got Peugeot to agree to provide me a rental car (so they could have their fleet car back, and I could get a bigger/7seat car), so currently I am driving a 2019 Ford S-Max ST-Line at their expense. I still miss my 5008 but losing faith in Peugeot (my first one)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes that's the problem, nice car when they work but when you get a problem it all starts going rather sour.
Before this we had two Zafiras over a thirteen year period. Not exactly the best thing to drive but at no time did we have to invoke any warranties to get either fixed let alone twice in the first three years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts