Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've got some clutch judder in 1st gear only and only when cold starting and when the motor is cold the engine is rocking back and forth a little that you can feel in the car on idle at 800rpm.

My local garage (trusted) has said the clutch is on its last legs and the vibration could be the DMF. The car has done 93k and the service history I have from previous owner doesn't have anything for clutch or DMF replacement.

I've priced a solid flywheel conversion with clutch kit from Valeo at £280 inc vat which is a cracking price. Garage want £276 in labour so £556 in total.

Now i'm not made of money and im not convinced my DMF has gone because there is no vibration though the clutch pedal, no low grumble or squeak and the engine is vibe free when running above idle and no issue in changing gear. Also the clutch travel is still good, it engages about half way, im no expert on clutch and DMF. I'd like to just get the clutch changed so what does everyone think about the DMF and the price and is a Solid worth going for?

Cheers
PB

J

·
0 Posts
That's good for a DMF, could be tribute to a very carefully driven 93k miles. Is there much service history anyway?

You have got a pretty average quote for the solid conversion. For any more information use the search feature on this site, I have written so many times about the solid conversions.

·
11,766 Posts
How much is the DMF?

I'd imagine that you won't be keeping the car to the time when its up for replacement again, so if the price is the same I'd go with a like for like as nige says.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,

DMF and clutch kit is only £40 more than the solid kit. Plan to keep the car for a few years yet as it's solid and in great condition and it's cheap to tax and insure :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been searching the web all night on solid flywheels and costs of DMF.

Managed to find a DMF flywheel and clutch kit for £211, Yes £211 ex vat of course. This isn't a cheap crappy one either from what I have managed to find on google. Just need to get my labour costs down to about £200 i'll go for this kit.

What do you think?

LINK to KIT

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solid conversion put a strain on crankshaft thats why they use dmf worth changing like for like .
Hi Nige, This is what is bothering me. I love the idea and the long term cost savings but i'm going to need a cam belt kit in 8k and the engine has done 93k so I don't want it to get any excessive or unwanted wear.

Price difference is not that bad between the two but I have found that there is quite a few people on the net who have suffered issues with early failure of cambelt and bearings. There is also a lot people that have had nothing but good reports and these far exceed the people who have had issues.

So, as mine seems to be the original clutch and DMF and the engine etc also seems to be very good nick for its mileage i'm going to go with DMF just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Peugeot are doing alot of solid conversions now so can`t all be bad idea , plus if you go solid and you`re keeping the car then next time its only a clutch you need :nod:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peugeot are doing alot of solid conversions now so can`t all be bad idea , plus if you go solid and you`re keeping the car then next time its only a clutch you need :nod:
Yeh I see your point trust me I do. I'll call Yeovil Pug and Taunton Pug tomorrow and see what prices I get. My local garage insists on the conversion and I do plan to keep the car for a few years as I've only had it since last month and I may lose my job in the next few months so it must be reliable so the clutch and flywheel need to be done now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the solid conversion kit, the supplier says I might need a concentric clutch slave cylinder. They don't sell this bit and I don't know if i need one. Does anyone know if I need this part?

Cheers

J

·
0 Posts
I bought the valeo kit from my local motor factors. It had everything in. I then took it to someone who knew their stuff but couldn't speak bigger words that me. That way I didn't get bullcrapped into buying more bits :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
i got my mate who has an account with eurocarparts and got a qoute for a flywheel conversion kit managed to get one for 204 inc vat after his discount :thumb:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Been searching the web all night on solid flywheels and costs of DMF.

Managed to find a DMF flywheel and clutch kit for £211, Yes £211 ex vat of course. This isn't a cheap crappy one either from what I have managed to find on google. Just need to get my labour costs down to about £200 i'll go for this kit.

What do you think?

LINK to KIT
clicked the link and had alook below there offerings anyone noticed how the fuel filter link has a picture of a wheel

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well I was qouted £248 including vat from Pugs.. Retail for a SMF conversion.. It was a 53 plate RHR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts