Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise on the across flat dimension of a fuel rail sensor on thev1.6 hdi. It seens around 19 or 20 mm, long reach probably. After much grubbing ariund i have located the sensor got the plug off but grrr no socket in my tool collection the right size! Need to get sensir out to idendify the part number.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a threaded item the sensor with a small copper washer to provide a seal. I fail to see, without sounding arrogant, what the problem is for anyone with a good understanding of engineering. I have changed them before on my previous Pug without problems. I must say the access is shocking and also add that to change a complete fuel rail would be a nightmare with the engine installed!

Regarding the socket size I have purchased a set of long reach, to fill a gap in my tool collection.

Many thanks for you response, :thumb:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I know that but I am just stating Peugeots stand and so they will not sell you one. But it is high pressure and could cause serious injury or death. And of course not all people who wield spanners are competent!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I know that but I am just stating Peugeots stand and so they will not sell you one. But it is high pressure and could cause serious injury or death. And of course not all people who wield spanners are competent!
Think its the same as when you remove an injector pipe and break the original seal / crush it should be replaced

Never had a problem

I have a pressure sensor switch in stock as I saw the rail price (NO WAY)

When you have posh tools sometimes its a shame to use them in anger

I have always had a good selection of old britool / tipco as well as my old melco box spanners which I have cut and modified for tricky jobs like this

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 1.6hdi

OkJust for info! The socket needed is a 27 mm longreach type. My advice to anyone changing a sensor is follow advice as elswhere regarding access, battery, tray etc. Additionally dislodge fuel filter, tie it and adjacent cable loom upwards out of way. Use necessary extension to avoid battery tray support and engine earth, and remove electric plug from sensor, lift plastic tab upwards to unlock. Use socket to unscrew sensor. Because of limited access all this is quite difficult. Best to fit sensor using a length of plastic tube over electric connector , 18 mm id will push fit over ok, then manipulatation is easier to locate and start the thread. Tighten with socket, no need for a seal you will feel end of sensor compress a little on tightening with the socket. Besides the profile at the end of the sensor does not seem designed for a seal, which would drop off anyway if you tried to fit one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 1.6hdi

Just for info! The socket needed is a 27 mm longreach type. My advise to anyone changing a sensor is follow advice as elswhere regarding access, battery, tray etc. Additionally dislodge fuel filter, tie it and adjacent cable loom upwards out of way. Use necessary extension to avoid battery tray support and engine earth, and reome electric plug from sensor, lift plastic tab upwards to unlock. Use socket to unscrew sensor. Because of limited access all this is quite difficult. Best to fit sensir using a length of plastic tube over electric connector , 18 mm id will push fit over ok, then manipulatation is easier to locate and start the thread.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Maybe the sensor is designed to be soft metal to crush and seal against the sealing seat within the manifold

Very nice update and info of tips and tricks
Really helps other forum users to decide if they have the correct tooling to do the job in hand

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Saga of the 1.6hdi fuel rail pressure sensor seal cont'd

Very interesting you should say a seal is fitted as this is consitstent with posts elsewhere, one mentioned a communiication with Peugeot and a corrected spares diagram to show the seal. However to add to this debate: when I ordered the new sensor, from a local spares shop, the assistant said there where two part numbers shown on his computer, one for sensor with a seal the other without. So I ordered the one with the seal. However it came with out a seal, and the assistent gave me a small copper washer from his stock instead. After contemplating what to do and looking at the profile of the sensor end I took the decision that it was not suitable for a washer. To check that a washer was not already incorporated into the sensor end I even used a watchmakers lens to examine the end and I can categorically say that on my sensor there was not a seal. I fitted the sensor, without the copper washer, as it would have to be glued on the sensor end to avoid it falling off during fitment. The sensor end and its thread had a very bronze coloured appearance which could signify some softeness in material and also explain why I felt a deformation on tightening.

All a bit of a puzzle, the old sensor did not have a seal either, but it could have dropped off during removal, there was no sign of one on the remaining in the fuel rail, even took a photo and expanded the image to check! So a real puzzler this one!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Andy892 So I take it it did not leak. If so then your defamation theory sounds plausible as long as it is torqued to the correct figure or that which Peugeot recommend. As they do not advise/want the general public to do this task I doubt they would have/give this figure. So did you get a figure and if so what is it please?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I would say difficult to say it is a removable washer in that photo. It to me looks like two shoulders in the pressing but what do I know. I might take the one off the spare rail I got for my 1.4HDi and have a look at it.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I KNOW its removable :) they usually fall off during removal as already said if you look at another on ebay you will see most are being sold without the washer but that does not mean there is none.

If you look closely at 1 without the seal you can see the centre is raised and the centre hole of the seal sits on the raised portion perfectly but it does as stated easily fall off.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
OK so took the sensor off my spare fuel rail today. The ring spanner was a inch and a sixteenth AF and it came undone without too much torque with the rail held in the vice. No seal at all on mine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Think I must have used same size AF spanner as you on my previous 307 sensor, that was more accessible being at the front of the 2.0 diesel engine. I have a good selection of bigger AF spanners than metric, inherited over the years from now deceased DIY relatives! Still got the sensor, it is also 27 mm, but flats look bigger than the 1.6 sensor being machined as opposed to pressed.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I actually was working stripping a 1.6 hdi today so i removed the sensor from the rail and it did have a seal/washer there are probably variations over the years with supplies etc but i have not seen one without a seal having said that i dont take that many out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers for that, of interest is the profile of the sensor end to take the seal. Mine was of a top hat section, any seal would have probably fallen off unless it was a tight fit. What is the shape of the sensor end you have just removed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, new to Pug family over here :)
I have 2 questions for you, regarding this darned pressure sensor. I just bought my wife a 308 SW 1.6 e-HDI, and when I bought it, I had it scanned, the guy told me I have an P2291 error - rail pressure sensor. Now, the questions:
1. Is it hard to change it by myself? I am a grease monkey myself :D
2. Is it possible that this sensor would give a high consumption if it fails to read the correct pressure? AFAIK this engine is pretty economical, but I haven't managed to get a consumption better than 7.5, even driving out of town, constant speed, 6th gear 90km/h. Also, putting it in cruise at this speed, the instant consumption varies by very much, IMHO - between 5.0 up to 7.2.
What's the standard consumption on this engine?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts