Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a look at my sisters 407 as she experiences the gear linkage freezes when it's below zero.

At the end of the outer cable there is this black rubber piece that is supposed to prevent dirt / water ingress into the cables it seem, surrounding the inner/moving cable.

I couldn't easily at pull this part off to take a look behind it, but if I'm to fill the cables, either with some sort of oil, or anti-freeze, I need to know where to fill it in.

Here's a pic showing that black rubber end on the outer (white) cable.

Shall I use more force, using a tool and just pull it off? Any other places there's possible to fill it?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
They look similar to the cables I bought for our 807, the inners were coated in grease but there is no way of getting any more in apart from coating the exposed ends unless you have a sophisticated pressure device that could seal the ends and force heated grease down the cable.
But where is the water in the photo coming from? The area above the gearbox should be pretty dry, is the scuttle sealed and draining OK, is the undertray present?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's no water there in the pic, it's me trying to spray the cables with WD40 from a distance, hence spilling all over :)

I guess I need to destroy that black end-seal if I'm to get it off then, to be able to add more lubricant to it. Unless I magically manage to get it off in 1 piece. Not the easiest location to work at really, sitting on top of the engine more or less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts