Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, tried to remove glow plugs to test them while troubleshooting some engine troubles. Had engine fully warm and rocked them back and forth a bit. Two came out fine and tested fine. One snapped completely and the other one sheared but the conductor seems to be still intact so I screwed it back in and put its tag back on.

I tried to drill into the completely sheared one and easy-out it but it still wouldn't budge.

The other option seems to be to drill down past the threads and then drill into the remaining shank, tap it and put a bolt in it and try pull it out.

Has anyone any experience of this happening, did you just take the head off or what? I reckon the 3 remaining plugs are ok, car starts fine but its obviously not cold atm.

Any info appreciated...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The most economical solution to this seems to be to fit a new head...

Traynors want €175 for head delivered to Dublin, bit pricey I reckon so will look elsewhere... They wanted €200 initially and knocked €25 off...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Same happened to me. One of my glow plugs broke but the three working ones have been grand the past few months.

Car starts without any hassle, even at -8,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll still swap the head I think, I'm possibly down to two good plugs and although it will probably still start fine at low temps it would annoy me knowing something's not right.

I don't want to take the head off and drill out the plugs and then probably damage it and have to spend €€€'s on helicoils and have the car laid up for a while.... A new skimmed head and swap all in one day seems the better option. What do you think?

Good chance to strip the engine back too and do timing, i'm having a intermittent misfire too so a new head might sort that out... I'll look at injectors next if it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
We had a tip break off an injector during replacement. A drift the same diameter as the tip was procured in stainless steel, the tip was then knocked in a few mm, the engine started and after many wasted miles trying to spit it out normally the movement released it and it came out with a bang. Try starting the engine and rev it some, it might just do the same as ours. Stand clear cos it will be travelling like a bullet if it works.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The same thing happened to me - but 2 snapped. I think when they have died, they begin to carbon up and seize in the head.

The way we did is to take the head off and drill them out from the head gasket side. Have an assistant who can help you line the drill up. Took some drilling, but eventually got it sorted....

Relatively easy to take the head off as well so long as you take your time.

Good luck.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The same thing happened to me - but 2 snapped. I think when they have died, they begin to carbon up and seize in the head.

The way we did is to take the head off and drill them out from the head gasket side. Have an assistant who can help you line the drill up. Took some drilling, but eventually got it sorted....

Relatively easy to take the head off as well so long as you take your time.

Good luck.....
Thanks for that...

So you managed to drill them out without damaging the head? Did you just have to re-tap the original threads in the head or did you have to oversize the original hole and put helicoils in?

Mine seem to have snapped halfway through the threaded part so ill have to be drilling around the threads... Maybe yours snapped further down and the full threaded part came out after it snapped...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think the threaded part is quite high up. When you drill from the gasket end, then they should be far enough away from the drill bit not to concern you about any damage to them.

Just take your time drilling them (as they are hard) and use a sharp drill. We put two rods in the empty glow plug holes to give you a guide as to the angle of the drill

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thanks for that...

Mine seem to have snapped halfway through the threaded part so ill have to be drilling around the threads... Maybe yours snapped further down and the full threaded part came out after it snapped...
Can you get an extractor screwed into it, as you tighten it unscrews the object? That way it might save the threads.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the threaded part is quite high up. When you drill from the gasket end, then they should be far enough away from the drill bit not to concern you about any damage to them.

Just take your time drilling them (as they are hard) and use a sharp drill. We put two rods in the empty glow plug holes to give you a guide as to the angle of the drill
Yeah the threaded part is right at the top... Mine however have snapped in the threaded part meaning most of the plug is still in the head and a little bit of threaded part is still in there. Hope i'm making sense. I reckon I would damage the head drilling them out.

I tried to drill into one plug and use an easy out to turn it out but it still wouldn't budge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As Felix said, if you can drill the lower part of the plug out stopping before you get to the threaded area you should then be able to use your easy out and remove the last little piece of threaded plug.

When I changed mine I found that the binding wasn't caused by the threads themselves but by the carbon build up around the lower part of the plug.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yeah the threaded part is right at the top... Mine however have snapped in the threaded part meaning most of the plug is still in the head and a little bit of threaded part is still in there. Hope i'm making sense. I reckon I would damage the head drilling them out.

I tried to drill into one plug and use an easy out to turn it out but it still wouldn't budge.
Here’s a plan......

Use an ‘intact’ plug to gauge how far you need to drill before you hit the threads. Then place the drill bit in the drill at the correct depth so that you can’t hit the thread.

You should then be able to drill out the plug without touching the thread. The more you drill out, the ‘easy out’ might start to work.

Alternatively, leave that plug in the head and just change the other 3. They should be able to start the car on their own.

As ever... good luck :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts