Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Peugeot 307 1.4 2003 manual petrol

One week ago someone told me that there's smoke coming from my tailpipe, I noticed there was a white smoke even without pressing the gas pedal.

- I replaced the air filter and the white smoke when the car is idle is gone now.
- When I press the gas pedal I notice a smoke cloud still coming from my tailpipe.
- I checked the oil cap and the oil stick, there's no milky material on it. I also checked the coolant in the reservoir and also no oil can be seen.
- I checked the spark plugs and I found the 3rd one has a significant amount of oil on it.
- I always knew that my valve stem seals need replacement as there was only blue smoke when I first drive my car in the morning.
- I also knew that my car consumes oil, but if the smoke is resulted from the oil it should be blue smoke.

- Today I showed it to a local garage and once he saw the smoke, and that the oil needs to be topped up. He said I need another engine :eek:

He said as the oil level is low the engine heats up more and evaporate more. (the oil level still between the two marked lines on the stick).

Also the car still has good power!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
You ansaw your own quistion stem need replacing only cheap ....

I think the the garage was thinking head gasket , you can do a die test there only cheap to confirm it not head gasket . Ebay your friend...

You might have presure leak from a stretch bolt can be anythink .

Afther doing stem do a presure test on all cylinders

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for answering guys

After looking more closely with a mechanic I can say the smoke is blue now. I have checked the symptoms of a failing head gasket and I don't think mine is bad.

I don't know if it helps, but I would like to say that the problem I think occur after I replace the oil and filter. And driven the car for about 100 Km. Exactly while I was climbing upside for about 10 Km then I noticed the car cut, power dropped, and I took the right side of the road.

I have show it for 4 mechanics now all of them told me that I need another engine, as overhaul never works. One of them said that it might be only the valves stem seals, but according to my info's if it is the seals I would get blue smoke only on the first minute of pressing the gas pedal when starting the car!?. And I don't know if stem seals can produce this much smoke!.

If I am going to replace the seals I need to be 100% sure that they are the only problem. It would be better to replace the engine than open the head without the problem being fixed. My biggest concern is that the rings being bad.

Is there a real way to replace the stem seals without opening the head?!.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Yes you can without removing the head but you have to remove the cam and its carrier for access.
OOPs sorry, ignore this entry, I am working on a car you can do it in situ but not this make that I am aware of!

·
Registered
93 Posts
No can not be done.

You can try thicker oil

Thicker oil will hopefully not pass thru the stretch/old stem .....

Regards john

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think this might fix my problem/or reduce it greatly thank you very much.

I think I am going to get an STP " Oil Treatment | STP.com ", the bottle has about 450 ml, How many bottles should I add?.

Also still trying to figure out if there's a way to be sure what exactly the problem is:
Stem seals
or Piston rings

·
Registered
93 Posts
When i had my mgf 1996 blue smoke from hell , i new if needed new stems , but i used a stp additive and very stright thick oil , i had the car for 2 years no smoke problams afther adding additive and thick oil

I used this stuff and it works , i promise ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311202017736

Add full bottle thrn add thick oil , you see the diffrence stright away

·
Registered
93 Posts
It not a fix for a machanic point of view you reallt should change the stems .

But it works , it go in the same place as the oil , it seals the stems from there old leaks ...

You use thick oil to stop it happening to orolong the effect worked for me ....

Most sellers di this to sell old cars to get rid of them ,

Like i say ladted 2 years i done the additive yearly and the oil think all the time....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will for sure give it a try, thanks a lot.

I was also thinking of removing the thermostat as the weather gets really hot during summer over here. This may help to reduce the oil burn, isn't it?.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was thinking if you got a collauge that dies car training i am sure the tutor can help and show the pupils how to change the stems ......

Worth a go

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello

After surfing around the web. I might have a problem in the valve cover gasket causing oil to leak to my spark plugs.

How is it look like, and how it can be changed?.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Remove your spark plugs and see what they look like, they can tell you a lot by the colour of them and if they are wet/oily etc.
Also check your coolant for signs of oil and oil for signs of coolant. All these checks are free before you start sheliing out on parts you may or may not need.

If it is the valve stem seals they can be done easily by filling the piston bores 1 at a time with rope, cranking engine round so tight to hold the valves in place against the piston then remove the valve springs and keepers with a socket with a magnet placed inside and a hammer. Replace seals then re-assemble. Sounds easy but can be fiddly, i'm currently in the process of this myself.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The rocker cover gasket prevents oil leaking from the top of the head. The oily plug is because the stem seals need replacing as they are worn and/or the valve guide/s are worn. That will mean removing the head to remove the seals. The check on the guides can be carried out then. This task will need you to remove the rocker cover so that is when you can fit a new seal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts