Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya pug peeps!

I'm hoping to see if anyone's had any issues with their insurance companies when converting the 307's DMF to an SMF.
I've got a 2002 2l hdi with AXA fully comp, their saying a convertion to SMF is something that they wouldn't cover and they'd have to cancel the policy. Their holding this possition even after me explaining its a Peugeot recommended change to spec..

Any ideas or experiences are welcome! Thanks for your time!

Paul

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Cannot see any reason that going from DMF TO SMF has anything to do with insurance It is hardly a performance Modification IMO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys..
I couldn't see why I made a difference either.
I was planning to tell them as you're apparently supposed too, but sod them I think your right on just going ahead and not telling them! :nod:

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
A couple of years ago my insurance told me they would cancel my policy if I retrofitted cruise control as they classed it as a performance enhancement - even though they insure cars with cruise from the factory. Just seems like a way of extorting more money out of ordinary motorists.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Has your car got ANY modifications is the standard question but how would the average motorist know for sure nothing has been modified they would not

Alloy wheels may have came from the factory may have been fitted from new by dealer some would see the later as a modification though !!

Upgrade your radio to a cd player that's a modification

fit a larger battery non standard so a modification towbar mudflaps window tints etc etc should all be disclosed but how many people do ?

Insurance is like monopoly you never really win.

·
5,665 Posts
I would go down the route with them of it's not a modification it is a manufactures alternate/warranty replacement part which can be fitted to improve reliability and not improve performance.

It's no difference than the modification made for a recall, eg bag around abs pump and other changes over the years

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses, I've spoken with them and they are adamant it's a modification that increases BHP and therefore changes the policy.. Total wasters! :mad:

Oh well as suggested I'll be oblivious to whatever the garage do and get them to just put 'flywheel' on the invoice haha

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thanks for all the responses, I've spoken with them and they are adamant it's a modification that increases BHP and therefore changes the policy.. Total wasters! :mad:

Oh well as suggested I'll be oblivious to whatever the garage do and get them to just put 'flywheel' on the invoice haha
I trust you will be taking your business elsewhere when your insurance is due for renewal?.

Roger.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
your missing the point of the thread somewhat he is simply replacing his clutch and flywheel with a replacement from the manufacturer which they have decided to modify thus the original spec parts are no longer available

Hardly a modification in real terms more an enhancement forced upon you by the manufacturer.

The majority of cars on the road have replacement upgraded parts fitted at some point in their lives so does that make everyones insurance void :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts