Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys,

So I had some time today so decided to mess around with the SMEG_PLUS programming on the 308. I have some good news... I am one step closer.

So I have updated my Diagbox to Version v07.82 (which is also referred to as v8.18 apparently). This did involve flashing the firmware on my Lexia cable to 4.3.4 which was scary, however it seemed to work and I can still talk to my car.. So hopefully that won't cause any issues.

So before when I was on Diagbox 7.44 (which I still have on another Virtual Machine) whenever I attempted to select the SMEG+ headunit it came up with a popup window saying I needed to connect to Peugeot Servers to go any further.

Well today on v07.82 I can select the headunit, perform VIN programming and various other options.

Now when I go into 'Repair' there are 2 options.

- View and print configuration options
- Configure and display options.

If I select View and Print options it shows me everything I want to see. And its fantastic the amount of options to play with.

However when I choose configure... A popup shows up saying 'Please wait' and never does anything. I have to force quit Diagbox and start again. I'm starting to think that you need up-to-date genuine Diagbox to play with these settings. Which means going to a good dealer... And asking if you can play on their computer!!

Anyway, back to the options on the SMEG PLUS. (Sorry for the crappy photos and Toshiba product placement, I did not have a PDF printer / screenshot capability on this Virtual Machine yet).

Here you can see the first page which is about Menu options available and present / absent on the touchscreen menu. As you can see from the scroll bar there are quite a lot:

And here is a menu that I am particularly excited about, as I know a few other members are... WHAT THEMES ARE AVAILABLE ON THIS UNIT!! (about time I know).

Now at the moment I can only view these settings and not change them. But I believe that this is a software bug as there are a couple of other problems I had whilst using the latest diagbox.

My next step when I get more time is to do the update steps 1 by 1, and see if a lower version (say v7.7x) allows me to change the options on this unit.

Any help / advise / feedback is greatly appreciated. And if anyone near me happens to own a garage, or more specifically have the diagbox software that will connect to the servers (fully licensed). I will be willing to pay to change a few of these options. :D

Cheers all!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Woww. That looks like promising! I wonder if a dealer could alter the options. I mean, I am not sure even if they can enable theme 3 for example. There may be another security door to check whether the car finish(GT-GTi - Active(Allure)) is checked! But promising to see indeed.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woww. That looks like promising! I wonder if a dealer could alter the options. I mean, I am not sure even if they can enable theme 3 for example. There may be another security door to check whether the car finish(GT-GTi - Active(Allure)) is checked! But promising to see indeed.
I have a friend who works as a techy in a Peugeot garage in Cornwall. They are running (genuine) version 8.19 (the one i tried was 8.18). Next time I am down he is going to let me have a play with his real kit and see what I can do.

(Unless of course I figure it out before then :D )

I don't know that there is, when i was looking at the firmware for the theme files, going through the programming it looked like the firmware just dumped all of the themes on the car, I couldn't find anything to tell me that the firmware only put certain themes on cars. So i figured it must be the headunit that tells the firmware. Which makes sense after seeing those options on Diagbox. There can't be any other checks I dont think, as these SMEG units will be generic for any car, so if one failed, there must be a way of taking a blank one, and setting it up in a GTI, or an Active... Thats my thoughts anyway.

My friend at Peugeot was unsure as he has not actually had to do any work on a SMEG+ yet, other than help people with maps / speed cameras etc... (Which is a good sign i guess :

·
Registered
542 Posts
I couldn't find anything to tell me that the firmware only put certain themes on cars. So i figured it must be the headunit that tells the firmware. Which makes sense after seeing those options on Diagbox. There can't be any other checks I dont think, as these SMEG units will be generic for any car, so if one failed, there must be a way of taking a blank one, and setting it up in a GTI, or an Active... Thats my thoughts anyway.
:
I think you will find it is decoding via the VIN number. There must be a dongle which has it hard coded. Maybe a chip on a device.

On the BMW's the diagnostic unit looks for sub modules. For example if you wanted to add USB to a 56 plate you had to have a comvox module with a certain hardware revision. Then you could enable from the main programming terminal using the s/w. I know this as the programmer was made by my employer at the time. I would expect it to be industry standard approach. Otherwise mechanics would have a nightmare when the car is X years old...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Paul,

I went to my local Peugeot dealer. They connected my T9 to Diagbox to see the SMEG+ theme options as you shared before. But, we could not find it.

Can you tell me how we can enter there ? Dealer uses Diagbox v8.18

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I cant remember exactly as I was just playing around for ages trying to find stuff.

I did a global test. Then went to the Multifunction/rtx section. Or the one that indicated it was the head unit. (Not to be confused with the section for the touch screen display itself as i noticed this was there).

At first it said ECU not recognised (however i think this was a software bug as it then said something like engine has to be on for SMEG programming).

In there i went to 'Repair' then 'Change and display confgiuration' and the options were in there.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Paul,

I do not know if you saw that or not but it seems that you can successfully activate RedLine theme from Diagbox as one of French users have done it with the help of a official Peugeot dealer.

themes smeg+ - SMEG+ - Electronique embarquée - FORUM Forum-Peugeot

:thumb:
Thanks for the link! I was sure it was possible, I just need to get a Version of Diagbox that doesn't have bigs like mine where it crashes.

He did well getting a Peugeot Mechanic to enable it :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the link! I was sure it was possible, I just need to get a Version of Diagbox that doesn't have bigs like mine where it crashes.

He did well getting a Peugeot Mechanic to enable it :D

Yeah it is great news! I will try my best to convince local dealer to do it. Let's see. I will update the topic if I can activate that. :thumb:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Paul,

Sad news from me.

Today I got the time to visit the local dealer. We connected my car to DiagBox (which is now v8.22).

We went into RTX > Telecoding > then there were 4-5 main menu selection like VIN / Audio / ... / Other Parameters

Inside one of the menus we have found

"Active Theme No:6"

Then we tried to telecode it to make it "Active Theme No:8" then it says Unsuccesful coding!

Technician told me there must be some other menu that you should FIRST Activate or Deactivate the themes, and then select it from the above.

I mean we could not find the screen that you shared before like

Theme 1 --- not Active
Theme 2 --- not Active
---
---

---
Theme 8 -- not Active

If you have anytime to deal with the car again and explain the menu you are getting step by step would be awesome! I would be glad if you have time to do that.

The technician told me "if you find a solution online, please come back we would like to help you"

So, I will go back and try it again. But before that I want to be sure which menu/path I should follow...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Paul,

Sad news from me.

Today I got the time to visit the local dealer. We connected my car to DiagBox (which is now v8.22).

We went into RTX > Telecoding > then there were 4-5 main menu selection like VIN / Audio / ... / Other Parameters

Inside one of the menus we have found

"Active Theme No:6"

Then we tried to telecode it to make it "Active Theme No:8" then it says Unsuccesful coding!

Technician told me there must be some other menu that you should FIRST Activate or Deactivate the themes, and then select it from the above.

I mean we could not find the screen that you shared before like

Theme 1 --- not Active
Theme 2 --- not Active
---
---

---
Theme 8 -- not Active

If you have anytime to deal with the car again and explain the menu you are getting step by step would be awesome! I would be glad if you have time to do that.

The technician told me "if you find a solution online, please come back we would like to help you"

So, I will go back and try it again. But before that I want to be sure which menu/path I should follow...
Hi, I will certainly help out when I can. In fact, i believe there is another version of diagbox that i can update too, and see if that allows me to make the changes required when i get chance.

Unfortunately i am on a training course in wales for the remainder of the week and likely will not get chance to do this until the weekend after next!

I will certainly keep you all updated if i make any progress!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I havent had time to play with it recently. Am still getting over a broken foot that I did a few weeks back, so dont get out to the car much at the moment!

I will put some tome aside soon!

Also, 2016-1 maps should be available at some point within a week or so.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry, I havent had time to play with it recently. Am still getting over a broken foot that I did a few weeks back, so dont get out to the car much at the moment!

I will put some tome aside soon!

Also, 2016-1 maps should be available at some point within a week or so.
Oh, did not know that. Sorry to hear, I hope you recover soon! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I was down in Cornwall on the weekend, and my friend who works as a Mechanic for Peugeot down there let me loose on his Genuine Diagbox (8.22). As soon as I logged into the SMEG it told me there was a 'profile' update available, and continued to download and install the updated profile. It did not however tell me the contents of this new profile.

Anyway, I was looking around the Menu's and there are completely different options to what I can see with mine. Mainly, there is no option to enable disabled themes, only change the active theme.

I did manage to enable the 'mood lighting' options on my head unit now, so I can turn the cabin lights on and off when I want. Rather than them being 'on' constantly. I also checked, and determined that it will be possible to enable Video input for reverse camera (Next Project).

From what I can make out, with the genuine Diagbox at least. You change the settings in Diagbox, Diagbox sends the new settings to an online server, the online server creates a new 'Profile' for your SMEG+, sends it to Diagbox, Diagbox installs it and reboots the headunit. This could make programming them with the Diagbox kit that is not necessarily genuine, a bit difficult. I suppose only time will tell!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. Newbie to the forums but I have been following for a while and have upgraded successfully to R5.41.xxxx and have been following the themes threads for a while because square and reflex in blue are just not cutting it for me.

I notice in the firmware files there is a folder called HARMONY and it has various config files which refer to all the known themes. Is this perhaps a way to install upon upgrade rather than having to use diagbox?

Just a thought - please correct me if you know otherwise.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi there. Newbie to the forums but I have been following for a while and have upgraded successfully to R5.41.xxxx and have been following the themes threads for a while because square and reflex in blue are just not cutting it for me.

I notice in the firmware files there is a folder called HARMONY and it has various config files which refer to all the known themes. Is this perhaps a way to install upon upgrade rather than having to use diagbox?

Just a thought - please correct me if you know otherwise.
Na, That won't work I am afraid. The firmware update installs ALL the themes from the folder.

The unit itself has to be programmed which themes to display.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts