Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have a 2005 diesel 307 and it seems to take an age to start blowing warm air in the mornings, at least half an hour and as my commute is half an hour i spend a fair bit of time shivering. i have only owned the car for 4 months and the previous owner (friend of mine) says it always worked after about ten minute via the AC. any ideas or suggestions would be great as we are currently sitting in a storm front and freezing our collectives off. cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dear friend, a common problem should be the engine thermostat, does the temperature seem normal when u drive? In highways do you see the temperature close to 90°C or it drops down? It's really cheap and easy to replace it and you might see a difference, but you need a mechanic to do the job. It's a small device between the engine and the radiator. Its job is to block the flow of coolant to the radiator until the engine has warmed up. When the engine is cold, no coolant flows through the engine. When the engine is warm then it works controlling the temperature to be almost stable around 90 °C. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be honest I'm not sure if the engine size, I think it's a 1.6. I unfortunately haven't had a chance to run the car for longer than 4 5 mins at a time but the temp seems to sit at about 75 or so. Any idea roughly how much it would cost to do the thermostat at a garage?.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dear friend, you referred to half hour drive, now you say 5 minutes drive... That's totally different story. In a really cold morning within 5 min drive you will be lucky to get some kind of warm air. Normal temperature withthe car running should be between 80 and 90, i could say 85.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be honest I'm not sure if the engine size, I think it's a 1.6. I unfortunately haven't had a chance to run the car for longer than 4 5 mins at a time but the temp seems to sit at about 75 or so. Any idea roughly how much it would cost to do the thermostat at a garage?.
Dear friend, you referred to half hour drive, now you say 5 minutes drive... That's totally different story. In a really cold morning within 5 min drive you will be lucky to get some kind of warm air. Normal temperature withthe car running should be between 80 and 90, i could say 85.
45 minutes, the text spacing came through weird

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok then u probably have a faulty thermostat but you are lucky! Because 2 faults can happen with thermostat, if ur lucky (that's you) it will stay open and as a result u don't have sufficient heat in the cabin and also burn more fuel due to engine running in lower temperature and the BAD LUCK is if it remains closed ur car will heat up, no circulation for engine cooling and finally burn your engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, guess I will have to decide if I am going to repair it. Only paid £300 for the car so depending on repair cost I may just leave it. Still getting 45 mpg so it's not too bad. Thanks for the assist.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Its a cheap spare part and an easy job, just takes time for the mechanic to wait temperature to be low not to burn himself and then its a matter of minutes to replace it, add cooling fluid, take of air and turn on the engine, its really worth doing and prefer experienced Peugeot mechanics, they will ALWAYS SAVE YOU money and you will always enjoy your car! ;-)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Have you not got the log book which will show engine size? If it is 1.6 then the thermostat is in the coolant outlet hose(top hose) at the engine end. Remove clip from hose and pull hose off and then remove bolts to the outlet union from the coolant outlet. Use a tray or bowl to collect the coolant. Better doing it yourself then paying a garage!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, thanks for the advice. The weather is howling at the mo, so I will hopefully look when it calms down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Goodmorning, why u don't check with ur vin number. U will then know what u drive, at least if its a petrol or diesel ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its a 1.6 diesel, so hopefully the thermostat is easy to get to, does anyone know of any good online videos that i can use. the only ones i can find are for a petrol or completely different model.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Online it seems to be a cheap spare, about 30 GBP, so why don't you make a call and ask how much it costs for a mechanic to help? It sounds easy but playing with cooling system can burn your engine... i have the haynes 307 manual, i will see if there is a step by step guide :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts