Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a 307SW, since new in 2003, but have recently had a few mechanical issues. The most recent sounds like water sloshing around inside some lower part of the car. It only happens after it's rained pretty heavily, and it sounds like it's under the floor of the car. The volume of water feels like a bucketful and can be easily heard (and felt) sloshing backwards and forwards whenever I brake or accelerate...:eek:

Any ideas? Is there a drain hole somewhere I should be cleaning out?!

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
The old "i can hear the sea" ,

jack up car at the back , take a flat head screwdriver and stick it up the joint below the sill whatever side you hear the water and stand back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the superfast reply... :thumb:

Please can you just be a little more precise explaining WHERE I insert the screwdriver (and strand back)? Is this something I can just do standing outside the car or is it a crawl under the car to reach sort of thing?

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I found this on another thread and will do as advised... :thumb:

"...its in the sills, jack your car up at the back then feel/look under the sill you will find drainage points, they look like overlapping metal drive a flat head screwdriver into these (give it a thump with a hammer nothing inside you can damage) and wiggle, these get blocked with crap, water will then run out..."

Thanks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sloshing Water Sound

We've had a 307SW, since new in 2003, but have recently had a few mechanical issues. The most recent sounds like water sloshing around inside some lower part of the car. It only happens after it's rained pretty heavily, and it sounds like it's under the floor of the car. The volume of water feels like a bucketful and can be easily heard (and felt) sloshing backwards and forwards whenever I brake or accelerate...:eek:

Any ideas? Is there a drain hole somewhere I should be cleaning out?!

Cheers,
Nick
Nick,
I had the same problem with BOTH my 307 sw`s, took months to figure it out. Same as you, every heavy downpour my car was flooded. Check the seal along the bottom of the windscreen, mine looked ok from sight but if i got a screwdriver or anything flat really, i found i could lift the seal away from the windscreen as it wasn`t sealed properly! I jacked the car up at the front as high as i could, lifted carpet in front of the rear seats, and there was literally pints of water. I soaked it up with towels then sprinkled talcum powder over and hoovered up the damp talc. Put carpets back down, Re-sealed windscreen with some silicone and dry motoring ever since!!
Hope this is helpful!:thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jonni

My issue was not quite the same as yours as we had no water inside the car... :eek:

It has just been in the local garage for a new rear wheel bearing, which was affecting the ABS system. They also unblocked the sills, so hopefully no more 'sounds of the sea'...

Cheers all.
Nick

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sorry for the digging this up, but could anyone help me figure out where the sill drainage is ?

From the English i can not get it...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Problem is the damage is already done and the sills will be rotten internally and the metal rusty and weakened and I assume the internal secondary chassis rotted and cracked away

Check your sills with thumb pressure and they should be hard, hard as steel , any weakness and you will feel them soft or might see rust stains bubbling through the paint

If the slot channels are blocked its probably with rusty steel

I would just drill two new small holes in the sill and let gravity take over with the aid of propulsion and braking and dry sunny weather ( :D )

You need your head behind the sill to see the slots easy if its in the air on ramps etc

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/307-38/when-tin-worms-get-hungry-started-small-hole-338306/

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes.

I put my 307 on 4 empty oil drums so I could weld the sill up
as shown in photo 1

Safe and sound .... cheap basic static ramp

·
Registered
599 Posts
That's the point: Sill.

I don't know what it is :D

From your other thread photos i think i got the basic idea where to look at.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts