Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, first post here.

Basically, front off side spring snapped Monday (fortunately just as I was driving off from home, and not at speed), so had the two springs replaced at the same time even though the near side was fine.

Car is a '57 1.6s.

Apart from removing the old and installing the new springs, I did all the removal and replacement of the struts myself along with a family member. We also replaced the drop links with new ones. Everything went according to plan. I've done this before on a different vehicle, first time on this car, so not a complete noob but I'm nowhere near a technician/mechanic. :)

The issue is now at low speeds, from around say 5-30 mph, and only when accelerating, you can feel a slight vibration throughout the car. It doesn't happen all the time, and I can't tell where exactly it comes from. It seems to occur more when turning the steering and accelerating, like coming out of a junction, but also happens when going straight.

So we had a look at the top of the struts, to see if the nut on each was tightened enough. It's a 21mm nut that will turn with the shock itself, so you insert a 7 allen to hold the shock in place. Try as hard as we could, we can't get them to tighten more. There's still a very slight space between the bodywork and the bottom of the round metal plate under the nut (the attached picture shows where I mean). This space is present on both struts, and widens a bit when you turn the steering from lock to lock. Is this normal? I can't remember if it was like that before we disassembled them. I thought maybe we needed to tighten a little more to eliminate the vibration, but the little we could manage to turn them, it made no difference, it's still present.

So, took the car for a wheel alignment, it was out by a little, but again, this made no difference. Vibration still there. No noise, just a slight snaking/shaking feeling at these lowish speeds for a second or two.

Next step is to recheck the drop link nuts tomorrow, see if they're a little slack.

Apart from that, I'm stumped as to what it could be. It's not something I noticed before changing the springs, I doubt it's an engine mount issue...
I'm wondering if we've overtightened the strut mount nuts. There's a torque spec for it, 69Nm, but it wasn't possible to use ours since you need to hold the shock at the same time (with the allen).

Any ides are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Have you checked the bearings at the top are on correctly. It's a while since I replaced the springs on my previous car, also a 307 and I had a bit of bother with the drivers side bearing. Had to take it off and refit it to gaet it sat correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure I follow what you mean. Do you mean the strut mount bearings? I didn't fit the springs myself, I don't have compressors (got a local indy to fit them).

Or do you mean where the top of the mount meets the underneath of the bodywork?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had another look this morning. Rechecked the droplink nuts, one was a bit slack. Everything else seemed fine. Didn't touch the top mounts nuts.

Took it a short test drive, seems slightly better than before. Vibration only seems present when accelerating and not when coasting. This is making me think it's probably nothing to do with the suspension setup, cos if it was it would vibrate regardless of engine pull or not.

Also thinking maybe it was always there, and now I'm just noticing it because I'm looking out for abnormalities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorted it out.

Turns out the two front springs my indy guy ordered up and installed were wrong. Fitted the correct ones and now vibrations gone.

I did notice the ride height was higher between the top of the tyre & the wheel arch than before, and by quite a lot. After complaining to the mechanic, he installed these replacements, all good.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I found that as soon as I replaced something, I started finding wear and tear with other parts. Struts and springs lead to ball joints, which lead to drop links etc. With the drop links I found it impossible to get the links tight enough when holding them with the AK and used an electric impact driver to tighten them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you had the wheels re balanced? The tyres will have worn to the old condition, they may perform differently to the new condition
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts