Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Today, I found out that I need to change nsf b/j, nsf drop link, osf cv joint, both front wheel bearing. I am not gonna pay 800 quid to garage for that. Just need to find out what size of sockets/ wrenches do I need to remove all those nuts. For ball joint I need 41 mm deep socket but what about the rest? Btw wheel hub is pressed in bearing but does it have to be pressed into axle or they stay on 3 nuts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Most hub bearings are pressed in - but a local garage can do that for you at a cheap price (one near me did it for free so long as you are not in a rush for them). The rest of the nuts and bolts will be either 13, 15, 17 - you can buy a cheap set of sockets from anywhere which do the job.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You need a decent quality set of spanners and socket set to start withand a long pry bar but to be honest it sounds like you've never done anything like this before. this is quite a lot of work to do and if inexperienced suggest getting it done in an independent garage as they will probably have a press for the bearings

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think the bearings will be the only issue - the rest are quite straight forward.
I say have a go - its the only way to learn and save money

Take your time and if you get stuck, ask on here or look on youtube

Another good place to pick up cheap tools are car boot sales. You can get a fare selection there, or a complete set. You might need a ball joint spliter too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have watched a few yt tutorials. The only problem gonna be bearing, I'll wheel bearing puller I saw kit for 80 quid. The rest is easy checked it and just need tools. So 35mm is cv stud, 15,16,17 link bar, and 41 mm deep socket for ball joint

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ball joint is screw in so 41mm deep socket and breaker bar will do the job, bearing hub is 18mm or 35?

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Ball joint is indeed screw in but can be incredibly tight I have seen scaffold bars used and heat to remove them other times they come out easy.

Wheel bearing you seem to misunderstand the concept a puller is for REAR bearings front bearings need pressed in with a press and again can be very tight with the correct tools and experience a front hub can be done in half an hour but if its stubborn can take all day :)

front hub nuts are 35mm bolts holding hub to strut are 18mm

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not long done the ball joints on my 307 and needed to take the hub carrier off and use a vice, breaker bar and a scaffold pole on the breaker bar as one of them was so tight right up to when it came out, if yours are as tight you will not be able to do it without removing the hub carrier so you will need star bits as well for removing the brake parts as well as allen keys for the abs sensor, the haynes manuel is okay for showing how to do the bits you need to do.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Might pay you to invest in a decent blow torch, a rothenberger superfire 2 torch and gas canister will set you back about £70 but a well worth investment,
Would be ideal for your ball joint :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts