Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2007 407sw, got it cheap because of the horrendous £475 a year to tax.
It drove fine so I changed the oil, filter air oil and fuel and then discovered no obvious way of changing/checking transmission fluid.
One month and approx 1500 miles later box "slips" at around 20-30mph revs rise dramatically and eventually it goes up a gear.
Seems ok if using manual shift mode.
Now have been told horror stories regarding cost to repair, my question really is what is the likely problem and could a competent person self repair? I have done plenty of manual boxes but beyond changing torque convertors nothing much on autos.
My cheap car is going to leave a very sour taste if I have to shell out wads, it has only 85000 on the clock and came with full service history. My previous car was a 2000 406 estate 2.0hdi which never gave any trouble.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My AL4 4 speed is sodding about so I have just ordered 5 litres of the special fluid Mobil LT 71141 and the local garage is going to change the fluid late next week ....I will report back if it makes any difference.
Yours, if it is a AM6 needs Mobil JWS 3309 Fluid 3 litres to drain and refill It holds a total of 7 litres as mine holds 6, but my mechanic assures me the torque converter never empty's out . As my fluid costs £10 a litre ,Just as well :thumb: Kim

·
Registered
71 Posts
:) Well went in today and had the gearbox fluid changed and a Forte automatic gearbox tube added. Just as well I never attempted as it was not the gearbox in the Haynes manual AL4 But an odd box called a 4HP20. The mechanic was well impressed. Took twice as long as it has a very small fill hole under the air box And a level check plug on the back end of the box. He reset the ECU and lessened the learning curve period. .....Drove home, EXCELENT ,now I can feel the gearbox working correctly. No more hesitation ,one gear to the next with the rev counter showing a much less laboured gear change. Can now change with the throttle ,too smooth the drive and more MPG, all that for: Forte £15, Oil £40 and labour £60. No fault codes and ready to tow a caravan ,when I get one :lol: Kim

·
Registered
71 Posts
:) Well went in today and had the gearbox fluid changed and a Forte automatic gearbox tube added. Just as well I never attempted as it was not the gearbox in the Haynes manual AL4 But an odd box called a 4HP20. The mechanic was well impressed. Took twice as long as it has a very small fill hole under the air box And a level check plug on the back end of the box. He reset the ECU and lessened the learning curve period. .....Drove home, EXCELENT ,now I can feel the gearbox working correctly. No more hesitation ,one gear to the next with the rev counter showing a much less laboured gear change. Can now change with the throttle ,too smooth the drive and more MPG, all that for: Forte £15, Oil £40 and labour £60. No fault codes and ready to tow a caravan ,when I get one :lol: Kim
Found this HOW TO fill this ZF4HP20 gearbox

http://www.xantiav6.co.uk/forum/4HP20oilcheck.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts