Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, thought I'd try some more simple stuff and switch out the sidelight bulbs for LEDs. Easy enough but thats where the issue went a little iffy.

They work fine as sidelights but switch off the lights and there's still a glimmer from the LEDs as if they're either drawing current from somewhere or perhaps retaining current.

Any ideas guys?:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For how long? Have you carefully tested the connectors of the lights with no bulbs in with a multimeter?
That's the first job this evening :) I'm guessing (because LEDs draw so little power) that the slightest voltage will make them glimmer even when switched off and because ordinary bulbs require more voltage to activate, that would explain why the standard bulbs aren't lighting when in the off position.

All inspired guesswork at the mo but hopefully backing it up with some evidence later :)

Thanks for that Loot, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well strangerer and strangerer. Just replaced all interior courtesy lights with BLUE LEDs and they're now doing the same; glowing dimly even when they're effectively off.

This is enough to cause me a little consternation this is :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Same here (307, interior leds). LEDs need far less current than ordinary fillament lamps and as there is always a little current flowing through (multiplex/canbus) they tend to light up slightly. I wouldn't worry about it, however if it bugs you you could fit a small resistor in series or pick one of those leds for canbus systems that have a resistor built-in.

S

·
0 Posts
Did you buy the ones that say they are canbus error free?

I just changed mine on the 307 with these and they look fantastic at night, i dont have a bulb out warning so no slight glimmer for me!

I plumped for a couple of these, you can see the inbuilt resistory bits!

2 x ERROR FREE CANBUS W5W T10 501 LED SIDE LIGHT BULB 8 SMD | eBay

I'm not sure on the legality of these though, on their own they are ice white, with the dipped beams they look like they have a slight blue tinge

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know I never even considered the 'Canbus effect'!!!! That, I suspect will be the answer to my dilemma :)

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

D

·
0 Posts
It takes an LED longer to drain the power from whatever capacitor within the BSI over a normal 501 glass bulb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
error free LEDS is what you need otherwise the canbus system will recognise there is an after market (foreign) device installed and wont know (unless a resistor is on led) how much power to supply the bulb so will constantly feed bulb.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
As said above, canbus error free ones are the ones.
I got some from amazon, ice white one. Unfortunately next to my Osram nightbreakers they looked blue and made the night breakers look yellow. So they came out and standard capless bubs went back in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts