Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

First time posting on here, hopefully it's OK to post two questions in one (they are both related)

My 1.4 petrol 307s has had a dent in the near side side sill since I purchased it nearly four years ago.
It has passed all previous MOT's without mention of the damage till the last one, where I received an advisory for it.
What happens if I go to a different MOT testing station, will they now fail it?

Could I pull the dent out myself? or would filling work? It does look a bit to deep for filling.
I've read about pulling dents out with slide hammers, but not sure what to buy or if it would work.
Can't really afford to spend too much on it at the moment.
I've tried uploading a picture of the dent, hopefully it works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side Sill Dent 1.jpg

·
2,961 Posts
Hi...I think you had an over enthusiastic tester last time...I dont think thats an mot fail but the testers manual says:
A fail to pass beacause of:
Any deliberate modification, excessive corrosion, damage, fracture or inadequate repair not within a prescribed area which adversely affects braking or steering by severely reducing the strength or continuity of a main load bearing structural member...
So advisory may have been prudent...

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Some mot testers use the advisory system to cover themselves and prove they are doing a thorough job! An advisory is not a fail by definition so no matter how many testers who look at it it is still not a fail .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

All it says is in the advisory box is damage to side sill. Wasn't sure what the rules regarding the advisory notice were.
MOT is due next month. Think I'll just take it in and see what happens, then go from there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That`s not just any old dent though, is it?
It`s a large area of damage to an important part of the load-bearing part of the body.

I expect the tester was concerned that the extent of the damage may be sufficient to compromise the structural rigidity of the car..

I reckon the tester was correct to flag it, but hopefully it`ll be just an advisory again next time.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The actual load bearing section is BEHIND the sill the structure is covered by the sill the sill is made of the same thickness metal as front wings they are not structural either and in a 307 are plastic :)

Dents like that are actually common on 307s for some reason people must be hunting out large boulders or kerbstones with them :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks like one of those NO LEFT TURN high raised kerbstones
I wouldn't repair it

I can understand why the Mot inspector flagged it up
Think it will be a copy and paste defect this year too

·
Registered
316 Posts
My car also has a dent similar to yours. It was there when I brought it and it has passed the controle technique (French MOT).

About 80% of the cars in France have dented sills due to the rediculously high kerbs we have over here.

I would not worry about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts