Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 106 1.1 XN 1996 134k miles was very dear to me (family runaround for 20 years, lots of memories) but I decided to let my daughter-in-law trade it in as a so-called "scrappage" deal on a new Kia. She's got the Kia, it's very nice. However, my Pug's now been put in the local auction! So I have the chance to buy it back. But should I? The paintwork is faded and blotchy on one side of the car and on the hatchback door (due to an accident respray done 15 years ago which has deteriorated) but it's fine everywhere else, so that really needs to be re-done. Other than that, I think it needs a new sunroof seal as water gets into the footwell and it needs a new blower motor/resistor. It still drives very well and would pass an MOT today. I already have a 206 for my daily drive, so I don't need another car but I'm thinking maybe the 106 will soon be a classic and worth restoring. What should I do? Your thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
The biggest question you need to ask yourself is.....

Will I actually get round to fixing the faults, spending whatever is required to sort it out or will I end up letting it sit, never getting used and deteriorating day by day.

Lot's of people have bought project cars with the intention of bringing them back to life but the enthusiasm wore off quickly as the money flowed out and it took more of theor free time then they expected. Yes, the car may have some sentimental value right now but that could soon change.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The biggest question you need to ask yourself is.....

Will I actually get round to fixing the faults, spending whatever is required to sort it out or will I end up letting it sit, never getting used and deteriorating day by day.

Lot's of people have bought project cars with the intention of bringing them back to life but the enthusiasm wore off quickly as the money flowed out and it took more of theor free time then they expected. Yes, the car may have some sentimental value right now but that could soon change.
Thanks for your advice - very wise I think!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think its a more sentimental thing than anything else?
Lets face it,its a 20 year old possible money pit.You spend out,do all the work,then what? will it be of any use? who in your family would use it.
It could be a handy little run around but I don't think a Peugeot 106 XN will ever be considered a classic.
Mind you if you can buy it for less than £100,have somewhere to store and work on it why not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think its a more sentimental thing than anything else?
Lets face it,its a 20 year old possible money pit.You spend out,do all the work,then what? will it be of any use? who in your family would use it.
It could be a handy little run around but I don't think a Peugeot 106 XN will ever be considered a classic.
Mind you if you can buy it for less than £100,have somewhere to store and work on it why not.
You're right, it is a sentimental thing and I can't answer those questions. The auction's at 6pm, I might bid £50 ... but really I should probably grit my teeth and stay away! Thanks for your response. (Shame it's not a 504 Coupe)

·
2,596 Posts
hi...I thought the scrapage scheme was to 'scrap'cars that had the
allowance discount.....to keep old cars off the road..seems strange the cars at auction now?:confused:

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
allowance discount.....to keep old cars off the road..seems strange the cars at auction now?:confused:
Can't say I've ever heard of the scrappage scheme so can't comment. Thing is, I've seen 20 year old cars in better condition than some 5 or 6 year old cars. If a car can pass the MOT then there is no real reason to get it off the road. Let's face it - all the classic cars are old cars but no-one is suggesting they be taken off the road :)

·
2,596 Posts
f.y.i.

quote:The UK Vehicle scrappage scheme (also Vehicle discount scheme and Car Scrappage Scheme) is a vehicle scrappage scheme that was introduced in the 2009 United Kingdom Budget to encourage UK citizens to purchase a new car or van and scrap an old one that they have owned for more than 12 months. The scheme was extended in September 2009 and again in February 2010 and it finished at the end of March 2010. In February 2010 a separate Plug-in Car Grant to provide £5,000 towards the cost of electric vehicles was announced and it began in January 2011.:thumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:The UK Vehicle scrappage scheme (also Vehicle discount scheme and Car Scrappage Scheme) is a vehicle scrappage scheme that was introduced in the 2009 United Kingdom Budget to encourage UK citizens to purchase a new car or van and scrap an old one that they have owned for more than 12 months. The scheme was extended in September 2009 and again in February 2010 and it finished at the end of March 2010. In February 2010 a separate Plug-in Car Grant to provide £5,000 towards the cost of electric vehicles was announced and it began in January 2011.:thumb:
Yes, that's right but in my case this was a dealer "scrappage" scheme, not an official one. The original scheme was very popular so I think dealers use the term to attract customers. I think the dealer gets some discount from the manufacturer to run the scheme, so they can offer money off to the customer. Really it's just a way of trading in an old car. It doesn't have to actually be scrapped. As for the 106, I bought it for forty quid!

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I suppose at £40 it's hardly going to be a disaster if you never get round to doing anything to it. I hope you do get round to sorting the sunroof seal and eventually getting the paint looking decent. Too many cars end up at the scrapyard for no real reason.

My first 307 was written off as being beyond economical repair. No idea which write off category they classed it as but if I had somewhere to store it I would have considered buying it back to repair at my leisure as I didn't think it needed too much work. From what I could make out, everything could have been sorted with replacement parts and a decent socket set and spanner set. I could even have bought replacement panels from a breakers in the right colour to avoid paint costs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose at £40 it's hardly going to be a disaster if you never get round to doing anything to it. I hope you do get round to sorting the sunroof seal and eventually getting the paint looking decent. Too many cars end up at the scrapyard for no real reason.
Well, I got some wet and dry from Halfords yesterday and started rubbing down the bad paint. I discovered that the problem is the lacquer. It's flaky and discoloured, making the red colour look orange. It's actually coming off pretty well and I'm getting the old cherry red coming back. Looks far better already. I may still need to get it sprayed as I don't fancy trying the DIY aerosols. Going for its MOT Wednesday!

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
The dealers current scrapage schemes are NOT government backed like the original its just a sales ploy to get buyers in the door they do not HAVE to scrap them its just a trade in !

·
2,596 Posts
Yep...I supose its like the 'double glazing scrappage scheme'all psychological distraction..overprice the item..and then discount it....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts