Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i'm set on buying a used 308 feline model and would like to ask for some advice Do you think its ok for me to get a diesel car ?
1 Live in central london
2 It will only be used for local london driving 5-10 miles per day max

The reason for asking is i will pay no road tax and no on street parking permit fee so saving around £130 tax and £160 a year local council on street parking permit thats £290 a year this saving is a lot for me but will it add up in costs to maintain the diesel model over the petrol ?

Thank you

G

·
0 Posts
Pottering round town in a diesel will use a similar amount of fuel - it won't be a big difference I should imagine.

I have been using diesels for a long time, but now I hardly use my car so I am doing more harm to it now than I would if I was driving it daily.. :(

If I were in your shoes I would chose the petrol, even though the diesel is excellent, as pottering around in the diesel may choke it up a bit..

The saving is good, but equates to less than £1 per day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the short term, assuming it's a new(ish) car, you'd save. Long term, once you factor in things like the exhaust/cat/filter system, engine condition and so on due to short journeys, it'd begin to cost.
The car im looking to buy is a 64 plate so pretty new and under warranty, my tax/parking permit savings will be £290 a year when buying the diesel model i wonder after 3 years if its going to cost me nearly £900 extra to maintain if i buy diesel over the petrol.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Driving 5-10 miles a day in london means you will be in the car half the day :)

Seriously i would not buy a diesel for short journeys they are NOT designed for that type of use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pottering round town in a diesel will use a similar amount of fuel - it won't be a big difference I should imagine.

I have been using diesels for a long time, but now I hardly use my car so I am doing more harm to it now than I would if I was driving it daily.. :(

If I were in your shoes I would chose the petrol, even though the diesel is excellent, as pottering around in the diesel may choke it up a bit..

The saving is good, but equates to less than £1 per day.
The fuel saving is not what i was going to buy the diesel for it was just the tax & my local councils parking permit charges for non diesels. I take you advice on not driving it much but i'm sure diesels aren't that bad nowadays and dont need as much looking after like years gone by :confused:

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The fuel saving is not what i was going to buy the diesel for it was just the tax & my local councils parking permit charges for non diesels. I take you advice on not driving it much but i'm sure diesels aren't that bad nowadays and dont need as much looking after like years gone by :confused:
You are right they need MORE looking after older diesels are far more reliable !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Driving 5-10 miles a day in london means you will be in the car half the day :)

Seriously i would not buy a diesel for short journeys they are NOT designed for that type of use.
Half a day lol i would be getting off lightly and thats no joke i hate it :mad: i only considered a diesel because i thought things had moved on i have only ever drove petrol and took no notice about diesel until my permit went up and i checked the prices and no road tax also is good.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Hi i'm set on buying a used 308 feline model and would like to ask for some advice Do you think its ok for me to get a diesel car ?
1 Live in central london
2 It will only be used for local london driving 5-10 miles per day max

The reason for asking is i will pay no road tax and no on street parking permit fee so saving around £130 tax and £160 a year local council on street parking permit thats £290 a year this saving is a lot for me but will it add up in costs to maintain the diesel model over the petrol ?

Thank you
Why not buy electric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi so after reading all the posts the resounding answer looks like dont buy a diesel for london driving and i'm going to take all your advice and not buy diesel :thumb:

·
Registered
274 Posts
as of next april there will be no more free or £30 road tax, on petrol/diesel cars, they will pay a standard £140 per year regardless of emissions. electric cars will be the only ones that get free tax. i can,t wait as the old big engine oil burners will be the same as a silly little 1.0 car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's why it's best to buy now if you want no or low tax as it will only apply to new cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts