Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have cluncks coming from right front when turning fully to left and going over some bump. Changed the anti-roll bar arm, easy job but no effect on the noise.

Now thinking its probaly spring bearing, CV-joints have been changed by previous owner (dealer) a year ago so they should be fine.

How does the suspension strut top mount and bearing come off from topside, there is only one bolt visible when looking under the plastics below windshield? Is there another one under it holding the spring compressed or does the whole thing come apart after opening it?

Asking just to be sure, have heard that spring bouncing to your face is not as funny as it looks in youtube :eek:

D

·
0 Posts
Those noises are nearly always the anti roll bar bushing bracket knocking off the subframe. Fit a length of rubber pipe to the bracket mounting points ie onto the little metal rod that holds the bracket on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked anti roll bar bushings and they looked ok. I took off anti roll bar arms and drived for a while, still same clunks when turning left over bumps.

So I guess I have to look at the spring bearing, still unsure how to take the top out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to update this.

I took the spring+shock out, and upper bearing seemed ok, turned smoothly and felt solid. I meant to change it anyway but I had no 7 mm allen key (who the hell has? I have 2 sets of allen keys, both have 6 and 8) that is needed to get the bearing off.

So what makes the clunk? Bottom ball joint or steering arm ball joint, how do you check those?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Forgot to update this.

I took the spring+shock out, and upper bearing seemed ok, turned smoothly and felt solid. I meant to change it anyway but I had no 7 mm allen key (who the hell has? I have 2 sets of allen keys, both have 6 and 8) that is needed to get the bearing off.

So what makes the clunk? Bottom ball joint or steering arm ball joint, how do you check those?
Either of them, although steering arm ball joint is probably easier to check.

I had bottom ball joint knocking for 2 years and passed 2 mots at different garages.

Once I took the HUB off the wear was quite noticeable.

·
Registered
437 Posts
To do it properly you need to take the HUB off the car and mount it in a vice. It is a big job.

Some people have been able to do them with the HUB still on the car by removing the lower suspension arm. This however wouldn't have worked for me as my arms and HUBS were seized together.

You need a 40mm deep reach socket. ebay is your friend for this one about a tenner I believe.

D

·
0 Posts
To do it properly you need to take the HUB off the car and mount it in a vice. It is a big job.

Some people have been able to do them with the HUB still on the car by removing the lower suspension arm. This however wouldn't have worked for me as my arms and HUBS were seized together.

You need a 40mm deep reach socket. ebay is your friend for this one about a tenner I believe.
You'll remove the bottom ball joint easy with a large stilson. No need of stripping it out of the car. Last one i did was on the ground.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
437 Posts
Interesting David. I'd thought it was a HUB out job until afterwards people saying about doing it on the car.

Hopefully I'll never have to do them again but I'll bear Stilsons in mind.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts