Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know if my shock absorbers are failing?

I am noticing every bump and pot hole and the ride is quite uncomfortable.
I have rocked the car up and down and side to side by standing on the cill of an open door and the suspension seems quite stiff.

My tyres are the right pressure and not wearing unevenly and the steering is normal no vibration no veering either way.

If I do need new shocks how much is this likely to cost at the dealership?

·
2,769 Posts
I asked about the ride height to check incase the springs have sagged/broken so the car doesnt have full spring travel...like having lowerd suspension..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P1020086.jpg

I don't think it is riding low.

I would love it to wallow a bit nice and comfy not feeling every bump, pothole and low manhole cover.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for that.

It would seem to be the most likely, especially given all the potholes smashing up our cars.

But I have none of these symptoms just a rough ride.

Coil spring (road spring) replacement - front (both)

Car bounces on excessively after driving over a hump or similar.
Car feels unstable going through a corner.
Car leans to one side.
Body of the car rolls more than usual through corners.
Impact of navigating over humps is harder than normal.
Squeaking or thudding noise coming from the suspension.

·
Registered
827 Posts
"Shock absorbers" are an antiquated term. The name you should use is Damper. Simply because it is the spring which absorbs shock. The damper controls the motion of the spring.

However, yes, in rare cases, the damper can seize (had this on one of the rear dampers of my old car), the damper sticks.... until the force is sufficient enough to unstick it and then causes a bit of roughness on small bumps. Only found this out when I went to replace all the dampers!

But is your 407 a "sport"? I believe the "sports" editions had stiffer suspension?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a major service yesterday and nothing was said about the dampers.

I went to the hospital in a taxi this week, a larger Skoda and a VW Passat estate on the way back. Both cars were less than 5 years old.
But the ride was far worse more harsher bangs and bumps than my 407.

So I reckon it is the road that got worse not my car wearing out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts