Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now then lads & lasses!

I've been off/quiet for a few days, mainly because i had a 60 reg hire car and had no problems... Haha!

But Ava is back. She hasn't had her bodywork repaired, or the spray she requires.. they've written her off! Cat C! But she's mechanically sound, insured, taxed, MOTd, and therefore I've been told I can drive her...

I'll sort out a couple of easy fixes myself but the scratches and chips are going to be left as they are..

I'm waiting for a letter from the assessors to say what I do next.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the weird bit, they offered me the value of the car (less scrappage) plus my car back.

As soon as I get the VIC done I'll probably move on to newer things :lol:

Does anybody know what its like selling a Cat C car? It's literally dents, chips and scratches..

·
Registered
481 Posts
Cat C means that the cost of repairs were greater than the vehicles value , it is not an indication of damage sustained on older lesser valued vehicles as it wont take much to write these cars off.

As you are third party to the 'other side' they do not have rights over the salvage of your vehicle , the only right they have is to deduct a 'salvagable value' from any settlement , normally 10% of the vehicles pre accident value. ie if the car is worth £1000 then the settlement would be £900 and you keep the car , that way they have deducted the salvagable worth from the pre accident value and you keep the 'salvage' , the car. You do not pay excess to a third party insurer , only your own in the event of a fault claim.

As the vehicle has now been written off it makes your MOT null and void , they should have advised you of this , if you are selling it i would make sure you re-MOT as you would be liable for any death/injury arising from any claims regarding the roadworthiness of the vehicle.

Also as its been written off your insurer will de value the vehicle in the event of a further claim (normally a trade value in Glass' Guide) but if you dont re-MOT they would argue as to its roadworthiness and give you scrap if you were to claim on your insurance so i would advise re-MOT :thumb:

The VIC is £41 and you are able to apply on line here: Submit a vehicle identity check (VIC) application form (VIC1) : Directgov - Do it online

It opens up well in internet explorer but no in google chrome!

On the log book's first page, should the vehicle pass the vic it will say:

1: Declared new at first reg (as they all do)
2: Vehicle substantially damaged and/or repaired . Vehicle identity confirmed on dd/mm/yyyy

The new log book is vivid red and looks like a 4 year old has made it at school , i got my new one last week!

You are also legally obliged to inform the purchaser of its accident history so i would take photos of the damage which as you say is only very minor just to prove.

Now that lot is typed ! well done glad you sorted it , if you need any more info let me know :thumb:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very suprised they've told you that you can drive it, not good advice at all!!

Whats all this VIC stuff though? i've hat 2 cat D's and never done this (unless the place i bought it from had already done it!?)

Sounds like you might actually make a few quid though? pretty sweet deal! some people prefer to sell off as many parts as they can then scrap it, you can make a fair few ££ doing it that way as well :)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
well all that has confused the fuck out of me :lol: oh well...

so it sounds like you might be moving to ford then :rolleyes: joke

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They told me over the phone that because it's still insured, MOT'd and taxed it may need a VIC if my insurance company ask me to, or if i'm told to when I get it taxed next.

They said all the details will be covered in the letter they send me, so I'll let you know what they say :)

Well they actually valued her at £3k :eek: and Pete, they did exactly what you said, returned the car and gave me it's value, less scrappage.

when I get it all cleared up as on the road, and no longer Cat C etc. I'm going to drive around a little, then when I'm 21 sell it and move on to other things.

Yeah I'll take photos of the scratches and explain to the next buyer that it's literally only these cosmetic scratches and chips that have caused it as a Cat C write off. I'll also stress that the panels are the same ones, and nothing has been replaced.

Should still fetch a few quid since it's just like any other 307 (if not, better) except from a few scratches. Without sounding stupid, apart from these scratches and a passenger side wall scuff, the bodywork is lovely. And goes well with the tints :cool: - slight roof dent narks me off somewhat...

But I'll lose out if I get a spray job and sell as Cat C. Plus people will probably think I'm hiding something with a spray job...

·
5,014 Posts
trying to work out if this is good news or not for you :nod::nono:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Trem , its bloody good news !! Tell me where you can buy a 2002 HDI with tax for scrap value :thumb: and Jazz 3k is a very good price ! what was the scrap value £300-£500?? The car will always be a Cat C though im afraid and will show on a HPI , even after the VIC Check which just confirms its not been rung.

Stubbo , only Cat C requires a VIC Check not a D , its to stop car ringing by confirming the vehicles identity based on 'secret numbers' on the vehicle. Cat D means that the vehicle was a repairable proposition however the insurer decided not to repair , normally when the cost of repairs exceed 75% of pre accident value and all damage is not confirmed. They all have their own figures though.

Good result for you in my book dont know how you feel :confused:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
£3k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got £1500!

sounds like you got a plan jazz....NETINTs (andy) will be happy to see you in a new motor for him :p

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ah thanks for clearing that up pugpete!

Interesting how it got given a cat C then if they've valued it at 3K?

Mine was a front end smash, which cheaply speaking was £500 but it only got given a D, suppose labour costs would have pushed that up considerably

I'll never work out how insurance works! ah well as long as they keep writing off these little pearlers for me to buy and fix then im happy! :lol:

i personally think you've done well there jazz!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hehe stubbo.. I know a red 307 for sale. Tints too :cool:

Aye they said "if you arent happy with the valuation you have 7 days to contact us" so I said I'm happy lmao!

I still want to get the dash lights fixed john if we can arrange something?

And I'm going to do some spraying of plastic :D and get a replacement armrest!

Just gotta phone people.

Pugpete do i phone my insurance and vosa? I'll re-read your post mate

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
trying to work out if this is good news or not for you :nod::nono:
Trem , its bloody good news !! Tell me where you can buy a 2002 HDI with tax for scrap value :thumb: and Jazz 3k is a very good price ! what was the scrap value £300-£500??

Good result for you in my book dont know how you feel :confused:

Haha yeah! Great news! And 350 scrap mate!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right... A VIC marker hasn't been put on her yet, I should expect it within 14 days...

This means as soon as it's on I have to get it VIC'd ASAP, because Swift don't cover Cat C vehicles... (Oh swift how I really really hate you)

then I'll try and trade it in for another 307.

I'm not being funny but do I have to declare this or is it their responsibility to get a HPI check?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
when someone buys the vehicle, it would be nice for someone to pre-warn...but dealers normally carry their own HPI checks anyways....they dont want to take on a car that is owned by the finance company and end up losing it...although in the past finance agreements i have signed they have said i can sell the car but i got to pay the finance otherwise bailiffs will say hello to me...fat chance of them getting on my camp without a DV clearance.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd only take it in for part ex on another car like. Wouldn't sell it privately and disguise it.

I'd tell them, but I'd have to stress the fact it was written off purely because the pratts didn't quote for a respray, but for new parts for EVERYTHING that got scratched....

I'm gonna put the chrome strips on the front grille still lol since they've arrived!! May aswell...

--- side points... are you still able to have a look at my clocks to get the LED's working?

If not... would a new set of clocks have a new set of mileage??

And can I stick a climate control unit in place of a manual unit (if I got another 307?)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
fair enuff mate...yeah i will still take a look when i got some time, got to go to work for 2 hours today!!!! no effing point!!!! sorry :lol:

when you buy a new set of clocks, the mileage will update...but if you go 2nd hand, martin (betty) says make sure you get ones with less mileage then yours as the BSI will go for the biggest.

i looked at changing the manual unit of both my 307 and foci, there is too much work involved, you have to put motors on all the vent flaps, temperature sensor, change the manual cables to electronic and finally configure the ecu/bsi...its just not worth it to be honest.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey Jazz , great deal i think ! The car will still be a cat c even after the vic check as cat c is its HPI status . As far as swift are concerned cough plead ignorance cough i didnt understand what they meant cough cat c ??? cough should you need to make a claim ;)

But i would sort it out as soon as you can as they will try and dip out of a possible claim should one arise , dont worry though i could give you the info you need to deal with it :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts