Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now then!

Right, when I'm at motorway speeds the steering wheel shakes, but it's not constant, it's in a certain pattern, like 2 seconds of being straight, and then 1 second of shaking/vibrating. It's visible when you let go of the steering wheel, but the car still travels straight.

Surely since it's patterned, rather than constant, it cannot be balancing, brakes or alignment. What could it be though?

It intensifies as the car increases in speed. Needless to say, it becomes less obvious at lower speeds.

Can anybody advise? Has this happened before?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
when i bought my car the thing used to vibrate the steering wheel at 60mph+...when i got my tyres replaced, they also did the balancing and tracking. they even said it was well off. since then smooth as can be :lol:

but as you said its not constant, so to me sounds like a warped brake disk or mis-shaped wheel.

EDIT: my dad also says track rod ends...have a look at your tyre wear.

·
Registered
828 Posts
it does sound alot like warped alloy or balancing. maybe just get it rebalanced for now, thats cheapest thing you can do and swap them like gibbo said.

but then again, when you say that it does that for a second or two, and then nothing, sounds strange. are you going at constant speed when that happens or? like you say, it should be more of a constant occurance, but only at same speed.

·
12,692 Posts
Would dodgy wheels not be making a constant shake?
Nope. Mine did it from 75 to 80 mph only in a sort of "cycle".

The front wheel had a slight buckle, but was completely invisible.

Swapped the fronts to the back and it went.

It might not be the same for you but worth a try.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Just had the same thing on our 407. Garage had it in for investigation and said it was a drive shaft inner joint u/s requiring a replacement shaft.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an update...

I had the sun visor down and noticed that when the steering wheel shakes, it shakes also. That's when I noticed that I was shaking ever so slightly too, but never noticed it. So the whole car is shaking at the same time as the steering wheel. It's all in a pattern (or cycle as Gibbo said).

The garage are taking it on Monday for a few days. It's a bit crap that they're 20 odd miles away and don't do courtesy cars. The little shack I bought my second 307 from even let me drive one of theirs when I sent mine in. Surely every garage has that relevant insurance?!?

Anyway the fact I have paid £5,500 for a car and it's got this strange problem is annoying me - especially since a new problem has developed:

When I have driven from my house to McDonald's 6 miles away, I can hear a scraping noise when I press the clutch (through the drive-thru). It's awful, and there's a load of squeaking when I am pulling away in 1st. Then at work another 6 miles away it's there. EVERY DAY. But when I took it to the garage I bought it from on Tuesday, it did nothing. It seriously did nothing except a tiny squeak when I pressed and depressed the clutch.

Gutted basically. Would rather have stuck to one of my unreliable 307 heaps cos I know I'd never have paid owa £5,500 for them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts