Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my 407 doesn't appear to be running all as it should at the minute...

There has been a rumble/vibration noise for a few months, typically around 1800-2000rpm when in 4th-6th gear and primarily when going up hill... thought this could be something to do with the turbo working/kicking-in so didn't think too much to it. However, it seems to do it a bit more now, and seems to be louder than before, which indicates to me that something is changing, and not normally for the better :( couple this together with the symptoms below, and it seems something is astray...
  • vibration/rumble ca. 1800-2000rpm
  • similar noise around 1100-1300rpm when moving off/slow speed in 1st & 2nd
  • can feel vibrations through the steering wheel, more prudent when approx 40-60mph but less so at motorway speed
  • engine very lumpy when starting in the morning - you can feel the car shaking and only goes away after 2 or 3 mins driving (could just be a cold engine, but it hadn't used to do it, and its not cold at the minute compared to the last winter)
  • steering feels 'loose' and knocks when turning sharp and going over a bump - possible ball joints? but these were both replaced only 10k miles ago
First thoughts to me would be.... turbo, clutch/DMF (shouldn't be as clutch & DMF were both only replaced 7k miles ago), driveshafts perhaps?? Thoughts anyone?? :confused:

Its niggling and annoying me now, and as with most things on cars, they don't improve with time so I'll book it in to be looked at, but thought I'd seek your thoughts before I get theirs :thumb:

Doesn't seem a good time for mine at the minute though... this problem, then I noticed a leak around the additive tank (which definitely wasn't diesel/water as there was no smell to it but it left a patch on the drive), then I had an ABS fault (likely to be a sensor, but this has disappeared for now)...... the list just adds up :(

p.s. car is a 2005 2.0HDI with 84k on the clock

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for suggestions....

How would I check engine mounts?? Is it something I can visually see, bearing in mind I'm no mechanic.

Shouldn't be EGR... its had a new one earlier this year, and prior to that it I'd cleaned the old one a couple of times and it never seemed to coke up too bad.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No bulges, that I can see.... both front tyres are still fairly new with plenty of tread on them..... have to agree, first thought for the vibration was wheel balancing, but it seems the vibration is a bit more random, so not quite convinced its as easy as that :lol:

I don't do too much driving in mine, maybe EGR is sticking... its a possibility, but I don't think that would have anything to do with the rumble/vibration noise though :confused:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll tell you something though, I've got an 11 plate 2.0TDCI Mondeo for 8 days whilst away on business, and compared to the 407, its a really good driving car.... feels a lot lighter on its feet, very smooth & quiet, and returns similar mpg than the 407 - 47mpg for 300miles of motorway driving yesterday. My 407 used to be like this.... lets hope once its looked at it will be back to this, or I'll always think of "better" :(

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well been in Pug for a day, and no faults found, apparently everything appears to be normal... apart from dodgey heater plug/s, which I've booked to be done next month as they've been dodgey for months already. All I've had done is a replacement ABS sensor... at least thats one fault that should stay away... for now :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car still isn't running right..... still got the vibration when driving at 40-60mph ish :(
If I put my foot down i.e. speed & revs, it clears up. Driving at the same speed in different gears has similar effect, but as the gears are quite close, its hard to tell properly.
Wandering if DPF is starting to block - seems to be a constant vibration at 1800-2000 rpm which is the 40-60mph speed. Took it for a run on the dual carriageway today and used 5th rather than 6th at 70-80 and the car seemed to run fairly smooth, but this was at 2500rpm.... it normally runs smooth when at motorway speed, but just not at normal driving speed, even on roads that other cars don't feel a bump on.
Could the DPF be choking causing a back pressure / vibration on the engine and thus through the car.... or more likely something mechanical with wheels/steering etc - wheels have all been balanced and no made any difference.
Or is the 407 just a harder ride than most?
Mileage is just over 87k if that makes any difference :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'll tell you something though, I've got an 11 plate 2.0TDCI Mondeo for 8 days whilst away on business, and compared to the 407, its a really good driving car.... feels a lot lighter on its feet, very smooth & quiet, and returns similar mpg than the 407 - 47mpg for 300miles of motorway driving yesterday. My 407 used to be like this.... lets hope once its looked at it will be back to this, or I'll always think of "better" :(
I got a 2.0 Mondano estate when my 407 got crashed into and it was a shock when getting back into my 407 as it felt well tied in comparison but comparing a new car to one 5+ years old is daft or so i kept telling myself. Anyway i soon got back used to my 407 again and its a lot nicer place to be than a massively plasticy and not very comfy Mondano.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't swap my 407 for a Mondeo.... the 407 is a lot more comfortable than the Mondeo.... and I know exactly what you mean about the plasticy interior.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Done it just as bad coming to work today...... it feels exactly like its chugging/missing or the like.... like what it does when doing its regen cycle, or like an old petrol car used to if damp and chugged for a while.
Any ideas what it could be..... really starting to annoy me now as I'm certain its something wrong and not just vibrations off the road :(

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hello Mr Kent

I think you need it on planet mate check your differential pressure sounds like might have a clogged DPF or pressure sensor pipes i would say DPF clogged mine was chugging was like that for 12 months but got worse doing 80 mph motorway would hold back and go like kangaroo juice check readings in planet.

Should have said last week i was down there with my planet

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Unfortunately I'm thinking the same.... :( new filter Autobits - quality parts at discount prices is £160 then need to get it fitted
I have ordered Planet yesterday, and s'hand laptop for it, so hopefully be able to check in a few days.
What should the differential pressure be? and what would constitute a clogged filter?

How easy is it to change the filter on the 2.0?
Does the car need telling its got a new filter in Planet, or will it just know with the pressure readings?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Mine was showing 128mbar on differential pressure think it should be about well between 2 and 8 i think and if you fit a new filter you have to choice the option in planet saying new filter fitted.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I know one thing for sure, I won't be bothering the de-FAP it, all sounds far too much trouble and for the sake of £160ish it isn't that expensive to replace the filter.... compared to a Peugeot part of £555 I've seen on the internet.

Why is it that Service box shows two options for the FAP? The supplier above only has one?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Make sure you get a good one as some are recon sold as new looking at mine when they removed it the 4 bolts was well rusted and your right forget about removing all together trouble i had not worth it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't waste your money putting a new particle filter in. The car won't need one at this mileage.
Start at the basics. Fuel? Take a sample, what does it smell like? What does it look like?

Get it on the computer, read faults. post them up if any.
It could be the egr as this engine eats them. Or the valves themselves are just rubbish (which is more likely)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't waste your money putting a new particle filter in. The car won't need one at this mileage.
Start at the basics. Fuel? Take a sample, what does it smell like? What does it look like?

Get it on the computer, read faults. post them up if any.
It could be the egr as this engine eats them. Or the valves themselves are just rubbish (which is more likely)
Thanks.

I know the car shouldn't need one at this mileage, but just seemed kind of logical. I'm probably not driving the car 100% as it would like - journey to work is only 3.5miles, so it doesn't get a proper warm up and run. I do more driving whilst at work, but journeys then only 20miles or so each. Weekends it gets a decent run at a decent speed/distance.
I had a new EGR and ECU update in January - the original EGR was still on there then so had lasted over 5yrs. When you say valves are rubbish, is that the EGR valve thats rubbish, or some other valve.
Fuel looks same as normal.... this vibration/chugging has been like it for the last 4/5 months, so not suddenly started, but it does seem worse now than it was back then.
Once my Planet arrives, I'll have a scan and post results :thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts