Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other evening I drove from Bristol to London on the M4. I was in 6th with cruise control on. After about 80 miles of not having to do anything, traffic ahead was slowing. I flicked off the CC and touched the brakes - It wasn't quite like pressing against the pavement edge but not far off. :eek:

I released the pressure on the brakes and reapplied it, this time it was better but not perfect. Dropping to 4th, letting the vacuum build on the deceleration did the job and my brakes were back to normal.

It would seem that the vacuum in the servo had not been maintained. Has anyone had this before? Is it the valve leaking or is the servo itself dying?

I've had a look around the servo and the lines leading off - there's nothing obvious and the brake fluid level is still on max.

C

·
0 Posts
Check the hose from da manifold/vacuum pump is secure as it just clips on.

Otherwise chum, could be the servo. An unusual problem for a 407.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... the joint at the vac pump seems secure enough. I may start by renewing the pipes.

Thing is, it probably comes as one unit from the pedal to the manifold... :sad:

·
5,027 Posts
mine did this 3 or 4 times late last year,,,,,,,,but no more since then,,,,never found the problem but the car appeared to fix itself:nod: edited to say mine did it first thing in the morning tho, not whilst moving at speed

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A self-repairing car! Can I make you an offer? :lol:

If yours did it in the morning, it indicates that the Servo lost vacuum (can you lose a vacuum... a vacuum is nothing) overnight. Probably a bit of crap in the valve that's now gone.

Mine hasn't done it since either, but then I've not done a long run since. Mine could be a question of time; an hour of running without any challenge to the vacuum or a sudden failure caused by a bit of crap (as we say in the trade) or, as Chopper says, a dying servo.

Just out of idle curiosity, when yours failed, can you recall if it had been / was raining or cold? The pipes in the system are hard plastic that may cease being bendy and grippy when cold.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a similar issue with 2.7 hdi coupe
Rock hard brake pedal. Replaced the pipe
From pump to servo and the valve on servo
Made a bit of difference but hissing noise
From inside the servo. Ordered a new servo.
Will let you know the outcome....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts