Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon everyone, What a lovely english day it is here!

Anway to the point of the thread, My car needs a little work love and care so while I have a little bit of money (not alot) I thought about getting the overdue service done (about 11 months overdue), also getting 4 new brake discs and pads as they were advised on the last MOT to be done soon. Also the additive level has reached minimum level two refuels so I need to get all that done.

There is a local garage that has been highly recommended by alot of people that allow you to source your own parts and they fit them at a good price which sounds good to me since I need a bit done on semi limited funds.

So far I have bought my brake discs and pads went for slightly better ones on the front as that is what I read was recommended since it does most of the braking.

No regards to servicing I need to double check what I should be buying I want to spend a little on the car to preserve its life and make it feel a little younger if possible (reaching 105k now). This is my shopping list so far:

1 x Mann Fuel Filter £12 (They had two Mann ones instock for £8 and £12 not sure what the difference was but for £4 I went for the more expensive one)

1 x Mann Air Filter £7 (They had Mann and a Crosland one £1 difference again my naviety in parts I just assume the more expensive one is better)

1 x Mann Oil Filter £4 (Since I was going Mann for everything else also went for this one was middle priced one)

1 x 5L Engine Oil (But I really don't know whats the best one to go for. 5w-30? And does brand matter really?)

Is there anything else I need to purchase for the servicing? Pollen Filter?

I have noticed that last couple of weeks the engine temp has been hotter than usual (hovering around 90C) also had a few DPF blockage warnings (I do sit in queues EVERY DAY) no doubt that they are both due to the additive being run out however I do also user Millers Additive. My wife also noticed when following me the other day a lore more crap coming out the exhaust compared to normal when I put my foot down.

Cars just cost soo much money lol, my back windscreen wiper just flops down doesnt work need to fix that, the external temp monitoring tells me Ice Warning on blazing hot days! lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh on a side note with regards to it running hot somone advised me to take the coolant tank cap of and run the car idle for 5 minutes this will remove any air trapped in the system.... is this safe and recommened?

·
Registered
240 Posts
hi,
why not do some of it yourself?
do you have the skill/knoweledge?
its easier than most people think....
i hope you have the right spec oil -asda do their own brand fully synth 5/30 oil in a green bottle:
( Description:
ASDA 5W30 Petrol and Diesel Fully Synthetic Motor Oil has been manufactured to the latest aPI SM/CF specification giving maximum performance and protection from cold start to continuous high speeds.
This motor oil is suitable for high performance, higher mileage petrol and diesel engines on extended service intervals. Meets or exceeds the requirements of the following specifications: SaE 5W30: API SM/CF ACEA C3, Low SAPS/Low ash.),it needs to be a certain spec to use with a cat in the exhaust system(they take out additives that older design engines need to have a long life..)

if its been a long time since the oil was changed better to do it a couple of times sooner than leave for the longer times really....it keep it all clean and fresh -much better for long term engine life.
i bought some of this when halfords had an offer :
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 151055 5W30 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5L-£25 for a 5l bottle at the time.
you need LOW ASH OIL ...
i hope this helps
neil:thumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I havent bought the oil yet. But now I know I will make sure its low ash although and this shows how much I know I thought it was the fuel that generated ash from burning where as oil doesnt get burned lol.

And I don't know if I could do any of it myself I am kind of useless when it comes to cars lol. Even get my father in law to help with bulb changes :p

I know it had a full service when I bought it which was two years ago so I have only skipped one year which I know is not good but not terrible.

Any other parts needed then or fluids?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts