Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So its not been long since my 308 had its 2nd year service at a local Peugeot dealer (Arnold Clark - Mount Vernon, Glasgow). At the time of service, the vehicle had roughly 32k miles on the clock.

Upon picking it up, i looked at the list of work carried out on the invoice and noticed that the air filter hadnt been changed. I questioned this with the service staff however was quickly told it wasnt due to till next year........hmmmmm it got me thinking.....what a lot of tosh!! 30k miles and still not changing the air filter??? I left not wishing to start an argument.

A few months have passed and its been bothering me so I purchased a new one and easily fitted it 2nite. Now look at the old one!!!! The pictures dont do it justice as to how dirty it really is! And thats just normal driving (mix of rural/urban and motorway). My recommendation would be to change it every 10k miles as i have done with previous vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Doesn't look so bad to me, long change intervals are becoming more common nowadays.
I have changed many parts that didn't need changing when servicing cars because the customers expected it to be done. So we changed them and took the extra profit......

Roger.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You can easily check if the filter is restricting flow by attaching a simple manometer [thin tube with water in U-bend] to the filtered side of the airbox to see if there is a partial vacuum on the intake side of the filter. [Google it if you dont know what a manometer is].

A lot of commercial vehicles have one built into the air filter and provide a visual check to see if it needs cleaning or replacing. Iveco I know has an electronic one. Earthmoving equipment always has some sort of indicator as well which a good operator will regularly check, sometimes several times a day depending on the site.

I agree that most garages will simply replace the filter as it generates profit. If you dont use dirt roads, an air filter should only really need replacing at extended intervals, and being blown clean in between.

But it is your choice... ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts